Topic: Shock absorbers

46coupe    -- 01-03-2020 @ 11:04 AM
  Happy New Year to everyone.
Is there anyway to remove the fluid from the lever shocks without taking the shock off the car? I just read that an owner back when was suppose to change the fluid depending on the time of year, winter or summer. I just want to get the old stuff out and put in some new hydraulic fluid (oil).
Your help is greatly appreciated.

40 Coupe    -- 01-03-2020 @ 11:27 AM
  The owner did not have to change the fluid, the same fluid was used summer and winter. They were not filled with hydraulic fluid. What year is the car and the shocks?

46coupe    -- 01-03-2020 @ 11:36 AM
  Car is a early 46. Shocks are the lever kind. Earlier postings I found in my search on here, were regarding a 36 Ford. I used the term fluid as opposed to saying they had oil in them, which some would assume might be automobile oil. I was hoping I could siphon out the old liquid. I don't see a drain on the casing.

42wagon    -- 01-03-2020 @ 12:23 PM
  46 coupe
Macs Auto Parts has the product you are looking for to fill you shocks. They call it oil but I think it is specially formulated for our lever type shocks.

I know of no easy way to drain the old fluid out except removing the shocks from the car and turning them over. Even then there is oil in chambers in the shock that I don't know how you would flush out.

46coupe    -- 01-03-2020 @ 12:59 PM
  42 wagon
Thanks for the help. I figured that the only way to get the fluid our was to take the shock off. I was hoping I was overlooking something. I got out my Macs book. What are they calling the fluid in the catalog? Can't find it under the shock absorber section, or anywhere else. I bought some hydraulic oil from John Deere today. NAPA and the others had nothing I could use. If Macs has what is supposed to be used.I'll buy that.

51woodie    -- 01-03-2020 @ 1:19 PM
  46 Here are some pages from the Houdaille manual that may be a help.

MG    -- 01-03-2020 @ 1:36 PM
  How about this stuff > https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/ProductDetail/M-1046_SHOCK-OIL?fromCategory=SearchByKeyword

46coupe    -- 01-03-2020 @ 2:44 PM
  51 Woodie and MG

You guys are great. Thanks for the help. The service bulletin is exactly what I needed and the website looks like it has the oil and other items I might need in the future.
Thank you so much.

40 Coupe    -- 01-04-2020 @ 4:29 AM
  The original shock fluid is Ford part number M-4633-B The label on the can reads " Ford Shock Absorber Fluid M-4633-B has been especially compounded by the Ford Laboratories and is recommended for use in all types of Ford shock absorbers and in extremely hot or extremely cold temperatures"
In the years prior to the war there were three different fluids used in Ford shocks. The type of fluid in the shock was indicated by the shape of the head of the fill plug. After the war Ford was able to make one fluid to replace the three.

42wagon    -- 01-04-2020 @ 4:38 AM
  I found shock adsorber fluid in the Model A section of Macs Auto Parts on line catalog. Their part number 28-22057-1
Sez it is for all Fords 28-48 but not for reproduction shocks.

51woodie    -- 01-04-2020 @ 6:58 AM
  I found this 28-31 book on Amazon. There may be some common points with the newer years.

https://www.amazon.com/Model-Ford-Houdaille-Hydraulic-Suspension/dp/0473276429

39 Ken    -- 01-05-2020 @ 5:44 AM
  Here is some information that may be helpful.
It was provided by a retired shock re-builder.

A FLAT top filler plug ORIGINALLY Identified GLYCERIN Based Fluid
This Fluid will have a FISH ODOR

A RAISED NIPPLE shaped filler plug ORIGINALLY Identified MINERAL OIL
This oil will be PETROLEUM BASE and have a OILY ODOR

A RAISED FLAT ROUND CENTER shaped filler plug ORIGINALLY Identified CASTOR OIL
This oil will have a VEGETABLE ODOR

Just a little thought here for every one:

Keep in mind the age of there shocks / cars & the economic climate & times these cars went through.

I think it is wrong to think that every time these cars needed service they went to a AUTHORIZED HENRY FORD dealership with proper tools & proper oil.
A lot of the cars were serviced by our DADS & GRANDDADS that were (by no means do I mean this OFFENSIVELY ) SHADE TREE MECHANICS they did what they had to do to keep the car running some times it was bailing wire some times the wrong oil in the wrong place and some times " NO" SERVICE at ALL

With that being said & getting back to the SHOCKS it is the vast majority of shocks that I get in that as I Dissemble that have the correct ODOR to them.

I guess the lesson here is we know what was in them when they came off the line but don't know what is in them now.

46coupe    -- 01-05-2020 @ 2:03 PM
  I finally got some time to look at the new posts. I can't tell you all how much I appreciate all your help and advice. I have printed out several of your responses for my notebook. 39 Ken: i know exactly what you are saying regarding maintenance "back in the day". My owners manual for this car reads like a service manual for the owner who was expected to learn how to do his own servicing, if he had to. I'm sure we all have stories on how we or a relative cobbled a repair together to get the car back on the road. Again thanks to all and have a great V8 New Year.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13491