Topic: PCV ADAPTER KIT

village grande    -- 12-28-2019 @ 5:08 PM
  What's your opinion on this PCV adapter kit for my 51 8ba. It says to remove crankcase vent tube and plug in this adapter with PCV valve. Than tee connecting hose into hose coming from vacuum port under carburetor that services wiper motor.

I assume intake air comes in thru vented oil fill cap.

Thanks Bill

Mr Rogers    -- 12-28-2019 @ 5:43 PM
  Why are you wanting to install this conversion?

village grande    -- 12-28-2019 @ 6:01 PM
  Mr Rogers -It seems to be a popular thing to do to remove blowby and prevent condensation in the crankcase as explained in the advertisement.

I know a lot of people install a PVC system in their flatheads, whats your take on this- thanks in advance.

therunwaybehind    -- 12-29-2019 @ 8:56 AM
  Leaving the crankcase vent open defeats the purpose of the PCV. The purpose is to give a wave aspect to the pulses of ullage air below the pistons and draw off any pressure generated from blowby of cylinder combustion gasses. One wants nothing to go out into the atmosphere as was happening from the road draft tube with a mesh filtered inlet of outside air at another point. I have no comment on putting oiley vapors near the windshield wiper vacuum source other than it might require a neoprene wiper hose?

village grande    -- 12-29-2019 @ 11:50 AM
  Than your suggestion is to block off the vented oil fill cap? Most of what I read requires a source of fresh intake air?

Mr Rogers    -- 12-29-2019 @ 12:06 PM
  Why back when I had a 1957 Chevrolet. I needed to install a conversion kit to meet California registration requirements. I experienced quicker than normal fouling plugs. I think because of crankcase fumes dumping into the intake manifold.

village grande    -- 12-29-2019 @ 12:44 PM
  I'm doing some research and having a filtered intake air source for proper pcv operation looks to be a required component for proper operation.

So now i'm more confused.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-29-2019 @ 2:10 PM
  was wondering what condition your engine is in,for you to add a PVC valve
does it have blow by ?
you might want to do a leak down test to find out what the real problem is
my 2 cents 37 RAGTOPMAN

village grande    -- 12-29-2019 @ 2:45 PM
  Ragtop
8ba runs great-good compression-but it has a lot of miles and this looked to me like an upgrade.

Maybe i'm overthinking this

village grande    -- 12-29-2019 @ 2:51 PM
  Ragtop
8ba runs fine has good compression but has a lot of miles on it and i thought this would be an upgrade.

TomO    -- 12-29-2019 @ 5:05 PM
  If you are getting a lot of blowby, it is time to rebuild your engine. The system shown in the ad could cause more pollution and sludge in your engine if you have a lot of blowby.

http://www.hastingsfilter.com/Literature/TSB/94-2R1.pdf

A PCV will not eliminate condensation. It occurs because of excessive blowby. The unburned combustion byproducts condense in the cooler oil pan and then turn into sludge. Carburetors cannot handle all of the different conditions of speed and mixture, so there are more of the unburned byproducts tha=n in a fuel injected engine.

Just because it is popular doesn't mean that it is a good thing to do. Listening it Rock bands at high volumes is popular, but it can damage your hearing.

Tom

village grande    -- 12-29-2019 @ 7:03 PM
  interesting article- it states- ( if the crankcase is not adequately ventilated the motor oil will quickly become contaminated and internal parts will begin to rust and corrode due to water and acid that will become trapped in crankcase

My 8ba does not have excessive blow by my intention was to prevent the above situation.

TomO    -- 12-30-2019 @ 8:14 AM
  To keep the crankcase adequately vented, keep the air filter (cap) on the oil fill tube clean and also check the draft tube for blockage when you do an annual inspection. Clean the filter every time that you change the oil. Change your oil filter every oil change as well.

To keep the sludge down, drive your car about 30 minutes every time that you drive it. That will heat the oil enough to evaporate the unburned deposits. You should do this even if you have a PCV system. If you cannot drive it 30 minutes every time, take it out for a long ( about 1 hour) drive at least once a month. This will heat the oil and allow the detergents to clean up small deposits before they become large deposits. Use a good quality multi-viscosity oil to keep the engine lubricated and make sure that your carburetor is working properly.

Tom

village grande    -- 12-30-2019 @ 6:01 PM
  TomO

Thanks for the tips - sounds like good advice and I appreciate your effort on this forum.

Bill

TomO    -- 12-31-2019 @ 10:28 AM
  You are welcome

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13474