Topic: Pinstripe

johnpoly    -- 06-05-2010 @ 8:29 AM
  My '36 Conv Cpe is being repainted black. It will have an Apple Green vinyl pinstripe. Can any of you fellow
V8'ers tell me what the correct width is for the pinstripe? A local supplier can provide 1/4 inch pinstripe material but my gut tells me this may be too wide. Pls advise.

ford38v8    -- 06-05-2010 @ 10:31 AM
  John, In my humble opinion, you can put on any width of vinyl stripe you fancy, as none of it will look worse than another. After the big bucks initially invested in your car, and an expensive paint job, now is not the time to cheapen your car with vinyl stripes. I apologize if you take offense at my remarks, but I feel strongly that you are about to make a terrible mistake.

Bite the bullet and have it striped professionally, or do it yourself with paint and striping brush from Eastwood.
I've seen stripe widths vary, but as I remember, most are about 5/32". The start at the grill is a pointed swoop.

Alan

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-05-2010 @ 12:39 PM
  I am with ford38v8
check with your local GOOD sign painter and ask if they would pin stripe you car,
and ask if the do such a thing,
somebody must be able to do this, all the truckers have there trucks done,just ask on of them,in your area, even school buses etc,
you could by the paint from EASTWOODS,if they do not have the correct color,they have a big selection,
I would go with 1/8 inch,but
just for ho ho's buy both tape sizes [ 1/8 and 3/32 ] and just put on temporary to see what it looks like,

KEEP ON TRUCKIN 37 RAGTOPMAN

johnpoly    -- 06-05-2010 @ 4:03 PM
  Do you know from whom I can get 1/8 in
or 3/32 in vinyl tape?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-05-2010 @ 4:51 PM
  it used to be available from NAPA,
They used to sell a roll [ in just about any color and widths ] with 3 or 4 strips together and you just remove the ones you do not want to use,and had others
a auto paint store should have this in stock
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,!!!!!!!
also maybe on E-BAY ?

trjford8    -- 06-06-2010 @ 7:42 AM
  Your local automotive paint store should be able to order a variety of widths of vinyl striping tape. As said before I would opt for the real thing. When waxing your car with the vinyl stripe you will find that the wax collects on the rough edge of the stripe. Eventually the wax works under the stripe and begins to lift it.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 6-6-10 @ 7:42 AM

SamVB    -- 06-08-2010 @ 1:06 PM
  I agree with doing the real deal. There are still people painting pinstripes out there. Where are you located? Our company has offered painted pinstriping for years. We do mostly late model vehicles but have replicated original stripes on restorations as well. We are located in Chicago area. We might have a contact in your area and be able to refer you to someone?? SamVB

johnpoly    -- 06-08-2010 @ 2:42 PM
  Thanks to all for your friendly advice. I am going to have the pinstripe painted, 1/8" or 3/32".

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1345