Topic: leaf spring - sprung?the

Fhower    -- 12-02-2019 @ 2:47 PM
  Hello,

I am working on a 1941 Ford Convertible and have disassembled the front leaf spring to clean and lubricate. I noticed on another forum that a owner had "flat" front spring and mine was similar. The other thing I noticed is my shock levers are pretty close to 10:00. Not much room and it did not make sense to me. I have also noticed "bottoming out: going over man/pot holes. Do these symptoms sound like a sprung spring? If so, can it be repaired? Or, do I need to replace it. I found Eaton Spring Detroit and they can make one. Has anyone dealt with these folks? Thanks as always - this is a great group.

trjford8    -- 12-02-2019 @ 5:04 PM
  Sound like you spring is" sprung". You can go with the Eaton spring or find a spring shop that can re-arch your existing spring. Do a Google search for a spring shop in your area for the re-arch.

kubes40    -- 12-02-2019 @ 5:28 PM
  I don't care for r(e)arcing as they don't seem to hold up. Plus, the shop that does it can only guess the load vs. height specification and as such, you are most likely to end up with a car that does not sit at the designed height.
They can bend the leaf(s) but can't put the spring back in the spring steel. Once it's gone - it's gone.
Why go to the trouble and expense for a less than satisfactory result?
I prefer NOS springs for all of my restorations. They are not too difficult to find and are typically in the $150ish range. NOS will bring the car to the exact designed height as well as the handling characteristics.
I'm on my seventeenth restoration and am just now (this week in fact) getting the two NOS springs (individual leafs) powder finished.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Fhower    -- 12-02-2019 @ 7:39 PM
  Mike,

Thanks for the quick response. Any thoughts on a source?

Best,

Fred

42wagon    -- 12-03-2019 @ 3:05 AM
  I needed a new rear spring for my station wagon because the the one on the car had several broken leaves. Eaton spring made me one to original Ford specifications. Came to me in CT by UPS. Cost of spring and shipping was reasonable and the service was quick.

kubes40    -- 12-03-2019 @ 6:15 AM
  Fred, I'd ask Mike Driskell first. Kathy Andrews had a few as well.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

supereal    -- 12-07-2019 @ 9:29 AM
  Before replacing, check the spring for cracked or broken leaves. These usually can't be located with the spring in the car. Be careful when removing springs, as they can contain power when released, both from the U bolts that fasten it to the cross member, and when the center bolt is removed. We put C clamps on each side to hold the removed spring, and carefully release them. While old Ford springs can "flatten", if intact it is unusual. From your description, if the shocks were bad, it doesn't take long to damage the spring.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13421