Topic: 1937 Headlight Switch

monte0185    -- 12-02-2019 @ 8:38 AM
  I just bought my 1937 Ford Model 78 Sedan Deluxe. It has been pretty much restored externally and interior until you get to things like wiring and adding turn signals.I would very much like to retain the factory Look so I was wondering if anyone has ever reused the factory headlight switch in the column with the steering horn button? Also How do I get it apart to get to the wires? Thanks for any help!! Have a great day!!

Terry Johnson II

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-02-2019 @ 9:00 AM

What you need to do is pop the wire bail off and pull the switch out of the column and now you can twist the switch apart,
it will be greasy, you can clean the switch, they are made to be reused, try to stay away from reproductions,
if you need new wiring , I would suggest RHODE ISLAND WIRING
not the cheapest but the best, all soldered connections,and comes with instructions,
and you can call if you have any questions,
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

Mr Rogers    -- 12-02-2019 @ 11:10 AM
  1st, why do you want to do it? If the lights don't work, check the harnessing under the hood. Might be a bad ground. Check to see if there's a hot coming down from the column. Some of the same wiring harness feeds the horns. Do they work?
Try the easy stuff first with a testing light. To easily puncture the harness, use a pin or needle.

trjford8    -- 12-02-2019 @ 5:11 PM
  In reading your post it sounds like the car may have an old wire harness. the switch at the bottom of the column can almost always be reused. If the wiring is frayed or the insulation brittle , by all means replace all of it. Most new harnesses come with instructions and if you follow them you can do the job yourself. Take photos of the old original harness while it is still in the car, so you can route the new harness in the same locations. I have found that Sacramento Vintage Ford makes some very good original harnesses and they are very reasonably priced.

TonyM    -- 12-03-2019 @ 9:45 PM
  Terry,

I do-- The headlights for my 1937 Ford De Luxe are operated by the steering wheel switch.

78-730B

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13419