Topic: '49 sedan heater

chiefdave    -- 11-29-2019 @ 3:32 PM
  The heater core on my '49 sedan has developed a slight leak and when looking for parts it seems that the heater is not the Magicair unit and may not be original to the car. There is no control valve other than the manual one on the RH water pump and the only interior controls are a cable pull to open the defroster duct and a rotary stitch that controls a single speed fan that is lighted when turned on. I've attached pictures in hopes that someone can identify what I have. Possibly a transplant from a earlier Ford car or truck? Thanks, Dave.

TomO    -- 11-29-2019 @ 8:32 PM
  It looks like the 1946 heater. The switch should have 2 speeds in each direction and the motor should have 4 wire coming from it.

Tom

whizzerbug    -- 11-30-2019 @ 7:43 AM
  its a 1941-48 car heater

TomO    -- 12-02-2019 @ 9:31 AM
  The 41 and 42 heaters all had a knob on the front of the heater to activate the defrosters, the 46- 48 heater used a cable to operate the defrosters.

The fresh air heater came out in 47 and most late 47 and 48 cars used it. It was much more efficient.

Because your car is a 49, the heater may have been installed by the dealer in a car that was shipped without a heater. There was a recirculating heater as well as the fresh air heater. I have never seen one or a picture of one.

In most cases, when a heater core leaks, it must be replaced. A good radiator shop can replace the core for you.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 12-4-19 @ 7:35 PM

chiefdave    -- 12-05-2019 @ 8:26 AM
  Thanks for your response. I think you hit the nail on the head about this being a heater delete car. The block off plates on the firewall and the RH fresh air inlet both appear to be OEM. This is a big plus for me as I'm going for a vintage hotrod look and the clean firewall fits that theme. Attached is a picture of a 1949 recirculating heater/defroster kit for your viewing pleasure. I found out that my core is good and there was a pinhole leak where the inlet tube attaches to the tank so all is good. Gave me a chance to paint the cover to the near correct color.

The fan is indeed two speed but the light in the knob only comes on in the high position. Is this correct?

Thanks to all for the help.

TomO    -- 12-05-2019 @ 4:26 PM
  No, the light should come on in both positions. You can operate the switch many times to try to clean the contacts, or carefully disassemble it, clean the contacts and reassemble the switch. The switch needs a good ground for the light to work.

Thanks for the pictures.

Tom

40cpe    -- 12-05-2019 @ 7:24 PM
  For what it is worth, my V8 Times came today and there is an article about an export '49 in it. It shows a picture of the heater and it is just like the original poster's picture.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13418