Topic: Starter

silverchief    -- 11-27-2019 @ 1:24 PM
  Recent starting problems caused me to take my starter into a rebuilder to have it checked out. He gave it a clean bill of health but advised my stock 6 volt 46 coupe has a 12 volt starter. What kind of problems might this cause? Should I change it? Has been trouble free for 15 years.

MG    -- 11-27-2019 @ 1:57 PM
  We need to know more details with respect to your "recent starting problems"....

TomO    -- 11-29-2019 @ 7:30 AM
  Bill, a 12 volt starter will give you problems starting. The engine will turn over slower and the battery will have to be in perfect shape to start the car. 6 volt field coils are available to replace yours, or you may be able to pick up a good starter at a swap meet. My vote goes for replanting the field coils.

I had a 12 volt starter in my car for a few years until my battery started getting weak. The breakdown test showed in the GOOD range, but it would barely turn over the engine, that's when I found out that it had 12 volt field coils.

Tom

silverchief    -- 11-29-2019 @ 12:48 PM
  Thanks Tom, that's exactly what I needed to know. I don't have a lift and am not anxious to get under again, but I may talk myself into it. If so, is swapping the field coils a fairly straightforward thing I could do, or best I let my mechanic do it.? I note both C&G and Macs have them, and would hope they are of good quality. I am hesitant to pick up anything that important at a swap meet.

silverchief    -- 11-29-2019 @ 1:21 PM
  It's also possible that even though the case is stamped 12, the field coils are actually 6.

Any way I can determine this without going further?

TomO    -- 11-29-2019 @ 8:29 PM
  I suppose that you could replace the coils yourself, but I recommend that you have it done at a starter-generator shop. The pole pieces have to be removed with an impact wrench and a special socket, while the starter is held firm in a vise. Then when the pole pieces are being installed you need to use a special procedure to insure that they will not interfere with the armature.

I don't know how you can check the coils for certain, without special tools. If the shop checked out the starter said it was 12 volt, I would believe them. Testing a 6 volt starter on 12 volts will give significantly different results than a 12 volt starter. The same goes for testing a 12 volt starter on 6 volts.

Tom

silverchief    -- 11-30-2019 @ 12:52 PM

Thanks Tom. The rebuilder didn't say it was actually a 12 volt, just that the case was stamped 12. Don't know why I didn't ask him the obvious question. By the time I by 6 volt coils and pay someone to put them in I might as well buy a rebuilt so I think that is what I will do.

Thanks again.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-01-2019 @ 3:34 PM
  HI
try certified auto electric , Bedford OHIO
web site https://6vto12v.com/
call and ask for JEFF OR EARL
they do this everyday, they have the answers and starter and generators ready to go out,
reasonable prices.,
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman Maine
I just had one rebuilt with a nos armature that I had and they used the heavy duty fields and a NEW OLD STOCK
Starter Drive, American made,

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13414