Topic: flat head V-8 tune up Las Vegas area

b747beau    -- 11-21-2019 @ 6:54 AM
  I visited the local Ford dealership with fledgling mechanics. No one has any experience on V-8 flat heads. I'm looking a seasoned, grizzly mechanic who can walk the walk. Anybody have a contact in the Las Vegas area?

Our problem is not cold starts, but warm starts, immediately after shutting Gertrude down. We're running a freshly rebuilt Holly 96 two barrel carburetor. Cold starts consists of a 1/2 choke and a 3 second crank to ignition, slide the choke to full open. Warm starts consists of no choke, an inch down on the foot throttle and a 8-10 second crank to a thud ignition on the first attempt. It starts with a 3 second crank on the second attempt. I've tried everything from pre-priming by pumping the foot throttle to no foot throttle, no choke to 3/4 choke with exact same first start 8-10 second thud and a normal 3 second start on the second start.
Anyone care to venture a solution (besides leave it be)?

Thanks,
Regards,
Beau

trjford8    -- 11-21-2019 @ 7:23 AM
  Beau if you are a V-8 Club member the club roster is your friend. Look up other members in Las Vegas and call them for recommendations. If you are not a member you should join to get the roster and the bi-monthly magazine. it well worth the $35 for the yearly membership especially for anyone who is new to early Ford V-8s.

carcrazy    -- 11-21-2019 @ 10:09 AM
  It seems as though every Flathead V-8 has it's own starting ritual that works best for it. My current '53 likes one accelerator to the floor pump shot, return to closed throttle position, and full choke when cold - it will usually start right up. If it is warm, just turn the key and it will start right up with no accelerator or choke action required. If this doesn't work, one accelerator pump shot will usually do the trick.

b747beau    -- 11-21-2019 @ 10:19 PM
  I am a new member. I reached out to our Nevada leader for some assistance. Thanks.

regards, Beau

b747beau    -- 11-21-2019 @ 10:21 PM
  I'll give it a shot. Or a foot pump, which ever occurs first.

mfirth    -- 11-22-2019 @ 5:05 AM
  Beau, sounds to like fuel is percolating caused by engine heat and flooding your engine. In Ohio in the summer this is common on many older engines. You may also have a leaking power valve. I gently push throttle to the floor while cranking a hot engine [ 8BA] so it gets enough air to lean the mix enough to start. A phenolic spacer is available to insulate the carb. from the manifold, or use two asbestos base gaskets which insulate also. Best of luck and WELCOME to the GR8 world of flatheads. mike

TonyM    -- 11-24-2019 @ 1:40 PM
  Quote: "I visited the local Ford dealership with fledgling mechanics. No one has any experience on V-8 flat heads. "

I actually work for Ford Motor Company. I can say with confidence that about 99.5% of the people who work in my building have never even heard of a Ford Flathead engine, let alone are able to work on one.

78-730B

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13400