Topic: clutch/throwout

denofiniquity    -- 11-19-2019 @ 12:39 PM
  New flywheel for 46 flaty, new clutch unit for 46 flaty, new throwout for 46 flaty. Problem: throwout has to move so far forward, I loose throwout lever advantage. I had to lengthen the pedal rod to the t. o. arm in order to contact the fingers, thereby losing the lever advantage. This is an all original 41 3/4 ton pu. Were the wrong parts installed some 65 yrs ago and is why it was just left out in the field until few yrs ago? Does anyone have any specs re these parts. I almost think I have seen a pic of a longer throwout brng. assembly. Anybody? Help!

fordv8j    -- 11-19-2019 @ 5:11 PM
  NAPA gave me a diaphragm type pressure plate instead of the 3 finger type, it wouldn't release the clutch, took it out next time they gave me the right one, lots of extra work

kubes40    -- 11-19-2019 @ 5:19 PM
  Number of places to look...
Was the replacement plate new or remanufactured? Too often (in my opinion) the rebuilt and remanufactured plates had no attention paid to the height of the three fingers. There is a reason there is such a tight tolerance specified for that height.
Also, wear in the "system"... bushings around the release shaft, the shaft itself, bushing at the clutch pedal, the shaft, clevis', holes the clevis' go through... all of those "slightly worn" places add up exponentially to the issue you are experiencing.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

lawrie    -- 11-19-2019 @ 11:06 PM
  I just had the same problem on a rebuild?? 10 inch clutch,
I luckily had a ford service bulletin that had all the specs for the clutch, lever height etc,so after checking it I threw it in the scr*p bin and rebuild an original myself.
If you want me to send you the service info let me know.
Lawrie

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-20-2019 @ 6:28 AM
  clutch/throwout
I looked this up in a FORD parts book and posted a photo
of the CLUTCH ASSEMBLY
see if this was what you installed,
you can see one good book solve problems
the problem might be the flywheel, if it was not machined correctly,
NAPA ? ?
Why not a FORD PARTS VENDOR ? there are many,
check out the V8 TIMES for ads !!!
I hope this helps
37Ragtopman

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 11-22-19 @ 11:43 AM

denofiniquity    -- 11-22-2019 @ 9:40 AM
  Thanks. Yes, please send those specs through a reply here.

supereal    -- 11-24-2019 @ 9:11 AM
  Be sure that the arms of the throwout yoke are riding on the "ears" of the bearing holder.

This message was edited by supereal on 11-24-19 @ 9:16 AM

sarahcecelia    -- 11-25-2019 @ 4:22 PM
  Mike Kubarth is right again! when I worked as a mechanic, for a lot of years, new CLUTCH COVERS (THE PROPER NAME, NOT PRESSURE PLATE) came with a little piece of 'U' shaped metal under each of the 3 fingers, holding it in a "Loaded condition," to ensure the they were all level. After you bolted it to the flywheel, and only then, you removed them. This was done to ensure that they didn't get out of line during handling, or installation. THEY HAVE TO BE ALL THE SAME HEIGHT SO THAT THEY ALL CONTACT THE RELEASE BEARING (THAT'S THE PROPER NAME; NOT THROWOUT (IT CAN'T THROW ANYTHING,IT RELEASES THE CLUTCH) at the same time.

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 11-25-2019 @ 4:24 PM
  RIGHT ON MIKE!!

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13395