Topic: 36 Ford Suspension Part Identification

36fordor    -- 11-19-2019 @ 11:19 AM
  Can someone please ID the part in the photo for me, front left wheel steering suspension? Leaking grease. Any comments?

Thanks.

CharlieStephens    -- 11-19-2019 @ 11:26 AM
  Looks like a shock absorber. I assume an arm extends back from what we see in the picture and attaches to the link which is visible in the picture.

Charlie Stephens

wmsteed    -- 11-21-2019 @ 10:20 AM
  I enlarged the pix, it is the front shock with the fixed type of arm. Send the shocks in and have them rebuilt... Make sure you use the correct type of shock oil.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

Mr Rogers    -- 11-21-2019 @ 11:50 AM
  Input on the shock repair. I have 2 front 2 rear for my 36 hump back 4 door. When I checked 3 years ago there was a shop in the Chicago area who rebuilt vintage shocks. The bill for shipping there and back was going to be $230. Repair cost if the shocks were not frozen was $150 per shock. I chose to let them sit in my box of "things to do". Oh, what your seeing is not grease. They are filled with, as I remember, a special/specific oil.

3w2    -- 11-21-2019 @ 4:05 PM
  It's a later service part replacement shock, not the original version used in production which had spun stamped steel cover (and a pressed-on arm like that in your photo).

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-22-2019 @ 8:43 AM
  HI 36 SHOCKS
I used MOTORCYCLE front fork oil in hydraulic shock,on early Fords
the shock oil comes in many different weights,
so if shock moves to easy go to thicker weight oil ,
just about any motor cycle shock carries this oil
as long as the shocks move this might help you out,
if shock are frozen try using Liquid Wrench and soak them , for a few weeks,.
keep going back to see if they move some might take longer then others
also YOU CAR WILL RIDE BETTER, and MORE IMPORTANT WILL BE SAFER TO RIDE IN,esp on bumpy roads,
well worth the money for being safe, keeps car under control
hope this helps 37 Ragtopman

therunwaybehind    -- 11-22-2019 @ 8:55 AM
  Supposedly, this type shock is to have the fluid changed between summer and winter and was one of the reason direct acting tube shocks on the 1947 fall and 1948 Fords were considered inferior. To lower shipping costs on heavy things I found use rail and freight. My father crated our old kitchen stove and shipped it to me COD in 1966. $10.00 and the tariff was computed on a Friden with no automatic carry provisions and the worker had to turn a little flipper at the top of each column in the calculation. Saginaw,Michigan to San Pedro,California.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13394