Topic: Modifying Offenhouser Manifold

ole_Bill    -- 06-04-2010 @ 1:35 PM
  What mods would be required to run an aftermarket (Offenhouser) intake designed for the 8BA on a 59A engine?

Stroker    -- 06-04-2010 @ 2:24 PM
  ole Bill"

I'm thinking that about the only thing you need to do is find an 8BA oil filler pipe, and fuel
pump stand.

supereal    -- 06-05-2010 @ 10:07 AM
  In addition to Dan's answer, there is no vacuum tap for the distributor brake, as the 8BA uses a carb tap. There is also a breather pipe next to the oil filler. Otherwise, it will bolt on. Be sure to use the correct pump rod. We use aftermarket intakes to install 4 barrel carbs on flatheads. Depending upon design, some manifolds require some shimming to get the generator to line up with the crank pulley. If your Offy manifold is for multiple carbs, there are addition mods to the linkage, etc.

ole_Bill    -- 06-05-2010 @ 11:24 AM
  It is a single 4 barrel. So what do I do about the vacuum tap and breather pipe?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-05-2010 @ 12:24 PM
  olebill
wouldn'y it be easier to buy the correct ALUMINUM manifold,to fit the 59AB,????
I think I saw them forsale at about $175.00 $200.00
and a whole lot easier,

my 3 cents worth, KEEP ON TRUCKIN 37RAGTOPMAN
give FLATHEAD JACK a call

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 6-5-10 @ 12:26 PM

Stroker    -- 06-05-2010 @ 4:14 PM
  Super & ole: Don't know why I didn't think of the vacuum tap and breather pipe. Since the vacuum
source needed for the distributer is not venturi vacuum, you could use an accessory plate under the
carb to tap as a source. As for the vent tube (on the left side), you could simply block that off
with an appropriate freeze plug, as your 59A has a breather in the corner of the oil pan. I do agree with 37 Ragtopman though, and that is that you would be far better off to simply buy a
manifold that is designed for the 59. One other thought, and that is if you want to keep the old
fuel pump stand, you could also block off the filler hole with a freeze plug. I don't know what application this is in, but the front oil filler is pretty handy compared to the original. I ran an Edelbrock 4-bbl with a Stromberg A series Buick carb on my 59A by doing the above. A good 4-bbl set-up on
a flatmotor makes a good street driveable combination, as you can keep your stock generator location,
and if the fan is generator mounted, that's a real plus.

supereal    -- 06-05-2010 @ 5:14 PM
  If you are retaining the original distributor, you can make a tap anyplace on the manifold. The vacuum brake on the old style distributor is usually not important, anyway, so I would set it up with the distributor connection first to see if it works OK. With the correct rod and stand, you van use the old style fuel pump and breather. Any suitable plug for the unneeded holes is OK, as there is no pressure or vacuum present. We use an electric choke with the four barrels, and feed it directly from the generator or alternator output. Otherwise, you will have to rig up a cable connection. Be sure to use a carb with a mechanical secondary opener. The 4 barrel conversion works fine, but must be about 300-350 cfm capacity in the primaries. Many are too big, and won't allow good low speed performance.

Stroker    -- 06-06-2010 @ 4:24 PM
  ole, et al: I've been scratching my ancient head on this one, and as I remember, I used an 8BA manifold, simply because no one made a 4-bbl manifold for a 59A or earlier in the 50's. My manifold
came off of my brothers 51 convert, and had a Stromberg carb. The carb he installed, along with the
non-vacuum sensitive Mallory ignition was a Stromberg 4A Aeroquad, which was produced from 1952-1954 and was Stromberg's only four barrel carburetor. It was used on Buick V-8 engines. The 4A was the first four barrel carburetor. The beauty of this little 4-bbl was that it used the same jets as Stromberg 48's & 97's, and you could change them the same way, using the Stromberg jet wrench through the float-bowls. The other virtue this carb had was that the secondaries were mechanically actuated, much like "progressive linkage" on multi-carb set-ups. Sadly, (wanting more power), I swapped this very tractable set-up for an Edelbrock 3-Pot, and then had to build a mount for the fan using the front-end of a generator, a big hunk of 3/4 6061 aluminum, and some Fafnir flange bearings. I think that Offenhouser and Edelbrock were marketing to the owners of "new Fords" that were being subjected to GM's advertising regarding the advantages of "Four Barrel Carburetors"

I don't believe they were targeting their marketing to hot-rodders, thus the 8BA manifold being
pushed, and no "early Ford" version being marketed at that time.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1339