Topic: taillight wiring

overdrive    -- 11-12-2019 @ 11:35 AM
  I am trying to replace the taillight wiring harness in my '50 Ford car. I thought I might pull in the new wire with the old wire, but the old wire doesn't budge. Has anyone ever fished wire through the headliner without ruining the headliner. I don't want to go under the floor mat because then I would miss the pillar lights.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

supereal    -- 11-22-2019 @ 10:02 AM
  Threading a wire through the headliner usually only results in damage. The better choice is to run the wires down along and inside the frame, bringing the up to reach taillights and other places. The pillar lights can also be accessed from below by careful drilling. Be sure to protect the wires as they emerge through the holes to prevent fraying and shorting. We use heat shrink tubing for that purpose. Most aftermarket wiring harnesses require some adaptation.

nelsb01    -- 11-22-2019 @ 12:13 PM
  I am sure that if you removed the headliner you would find that the wire harness is clipped in many places, so 'fishing' it through will not work.
The wiring for your taillights does run along the driver's side floor. If you remove the door sills, and raise the mat (or carpet) you will see the wires to the rear.

Mr Rogers    -- 11-23-2019 @ 3:19 PM
  If you think there is no wire break in the headliner could you cut & splice in at each end? Just thinking out loud.

overdrive    -- 11-25-2019 @ 8:45 PM
  Thank you. very good information and suggestion. I have about decided to run wires in frame as I have to add one additional wire for the installation of turn signals. My car has new headliner, new upholstery and carpet. I found labels on each end of the taillght wire bundle which makes me think they were replaced at the same time of the headliner. With that in mind, I will only run one wire underneath.

overdrive    -- 11-25-2019 @ 8:47 PM
  Thank you. I believe the wires are good

therunwaybehind    -- 11-26-2019 @ 9:08 AM
  Doesn't the turn signal blinker simply blink the brake light filament. Other than the wire from the steering column why must another wire go back. For a car that had only one taillight or was before brake lights were invented by Dodge and stuck in the middle of the trunk, maybe, but why on a 1950 Ford?

40cpe    -- 11-26-2019 @ 9:18 AM
  The original brake light wire was a single wire running to both brake lights. There has to be a separate wire to each side for each signal light to work independently of the other side.

TomO    -- 11-29-2019 @ 7:34 AM
  I would run them inside the car along the driver's side floor. They will not be subjected to weather that way and will last longer. It will probably be easier to make the connections also.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13383