Topic: Stuck water pump

coilover    -- 11-11-2019 @ 6:23 PM
  I have a 46 long door coupe with an engine that was built five years ago and only run on an engine test stand. It's a 59AB with everything new and I think the water pumps are Skip's or the Speedway upgraded ones. Both were stuck but the left is now freed up with no coolant leak. The right is freed up but not enough to be turned by the belt. It has a 5/8" wide belt which seems to sit deep in the pulleys. Any suggestions? Thank you.

trjford8    -- 11-12-2019 @ 6:59 AM
  Tap on front of the pulley with a hammer and see to that loosens it up.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-12-2019 @ 10:31 AM
  HI
I think you need to put the correct belt on , after you get the pump free up,
tapping lightly is correct way to free it up, use a wooden or plastic mallet on it,
just remember the pulley is cast iron and might crack
or use very large pliers , and grab the outside of pulley and turn it back and forth
I am assuming you have coolant in the engine,
water pump lube also should be added,
the 5/8 belt is to narrow, that's why it is sitting on the bottom of the pulley
and does not provide enough contact in the pulley to turn the sticking pump,
once you get it to turn everything should be fine
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman
NAPA has green belts, used on various applications, comes in many sizes,
I think they do have a listing for your application,
they have the correct belt for my 37 85 hp engine, it is wider

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 12-7-19 @ 9:20 AM

supereal    -- 12-05-2019 @ 12:57 PM
  The pulleys are designed to use belts that grip the sides of the groove. This provides traction without placing too much load on the pump bushings. Most vendors of old Ford parts have the belts with the correct pitch. If a pump is stuck, it is a good sign that it should be removed and inspected to see if it is badly rusted, or otherwise in need of rebuilding. Forcing it to turn may damage the seal. We send pumps to Skip Haney to rebuild. He has the tools to disassemble the pumps, and to ream the bushings. The cast iron pulleys are fragile and easily broken.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13382