Topic: Trickle Charger 6 v posi ground

Parkopup1218    -- 11-11-2019 @ 5:32 PM
  Hello all
I hope you can help me as cold weather is upon our car in the shop. My trickle charger (with 6 or 12v options) which is less than 1 year old, suddenly stopped charging in the 6v mode on a 46' 239 flathead. This is a positive ground auto. All batt cables and 2-3 extra grounds replaced in the last 6 months or so. The charger had been working fine for the past year when plugged in. I went to a separate car and changed the mode to 12v and it worked fine. The in line fuse is ok and connections have not been altered. The battery is less than 3 months old. Sitting static, at the battery, is around 6.7 volts. Running at an idle is close to 7.8 volts so the little generator is doing her job. I borrowed my buddies new trickle charger (the "LX version") and the same thing...no 6 v charge but 12v on a separate car works. Please help me get this right before it is toooo late. Thanks a ton!

This message was edited by Parkopup1218 on 11-11-19 @ 5:32 PM

40cpe    -- 11-11-2019 @ 6:01 PM
  Don't they not turn on until the battery is low? Discharge your battery and see if it charges it back up.

40 Coupe    -- 11-12-2019 @ 5:20 AM
  If the battery is open circuit internally the chargers will not charge it. Connect a voltmeter to the battery and read voltage when the ignition is turned to the on position. If Zero volts the battery is defective and open circuit.

fordv8j    -- 11-12-2019 @ 5:08 PM
  Better watch those trickle chargers, check often,I had a Schumaker that didn't shut off, cooked my Ford script 6 volt battery, put more acid in it, would never charge up and start the car...called the company, they said all they would do was to repair it if I would send it to them with $10.00, told them no thanks, so I'm out a battery

supereal    -- 11-13-2019 @ 9:09 AM
  I use "Battery Tenders" as "life support" during winter storage, even on my regular vehicles. They will indicate when charging, and when the battery is fully charged. If you make an error in the hookup, it will also tell you. They are inexpensive units, and especially on the modern vehicles which have the under hood computer always on to search for "key fobs" near by, and monitor alarm and other requirements.

nelsb01    -- 11-13-2019 @ 9:34 AM
  And I just saw that Battery Tender now has a unit that can be switched from 6 volt to 12 volt for about $10 more than their single charging unit.
Ahh, the best of both worlds for us old car guys!

supereal    -- 11-14-2019 @ 11:57 AM
  That's odd. All my Battery Tenders have a 6-12 volt switch. I have had them a long time, so maybe there has been a design change. If they now sell only single voltage models, it certainly reduces value to those of us who have both old cars and modern vehicles. As to polarity, all of these chargers have clearly marked battery clips, red for positive, black for negative.

wmsteed    -- 11-19-2019 @ 10:48 AM
  Ditto on Super's comment..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

nelsb01    -- 11-19-2019 @ 12:33 PM
  Well, dont know what to say. I just won one at the 2019 Central National Meet and it was 6V only.

And the one that I purchased for my parent's handicap van was 12V only.

Maybe we dont get all the top shelf stuff here in the "fly-over" zone. But it's good to know that 6V and 12V are now part of the Battery Tender family.

Bertha    -- 11-27-2019 @ 6:31 AM
  Our 'tender' is 6v only, 10yrs old, on a timer, 6hrs/day.
Bob

"it's only original once"
---

kubes40    -- 11-28-2019 @ 6:08 AM
  I have Battery Tender's on all of my cars that are placed in storage. All are either 6v or 12v. - none are both.
Funny thing, our Aston Martin (first year of ownership) came with a "tender" of their own making. It plugs in to a socket within the trunk specifically designed for that purpose. Bazaar...

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

nelsb01    -- 11-28-2019 @ 8:32 AM
  James Bond (007) always wants his car to start!

kubes40    -- 11-28-2019 @ 10:18 AM
  Hey! Ya never know when I'll have to save the world from an evil threat!
Seriously... I figured if AM put one in a box within the trunk and built a dedicated port for it and it alone, there must be a valid reason.
I love this car but want to avoid repairs, if ya know what I mean

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 11-28-19 @ 10:19 AM

fatso2114    -- 12-01-2019 @ 4:53 PM
  Hello, tender Jr. are 6 volt only I believe .75 amp been using them for a while with no problems great winter time trickle charger. They may also be purchased in 12 volt, John

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13381