Topic: Frozen Block

coupeman    -- 10-23-2019 @ 4:05 PM
  I need some input from any club member who can provide input to unfreeze a block that I want to use for my 48 coupe that has no engine. I was given 59AB complete engine that was used for water drilling, it was in the chassis but covered. The teardown went easy until I removed the heads( easy) and noticed no.5 and no.8 pistons had been exposed for sometime with water collection. I removed a few pistons but because of the frozen pistons I can't rotate the crank to expose connecting rod nuts to remove the unfrozen pistons. I the tried using and soaking with Super PB, hammering and a little heat, nothing seems to work after weeks of trying. I just want to save the block I don't care about the valves, crank, connecting rods, rod bearings or the pistons, I just need a block, I am open to all method to achieve this tasks, sorry for the long post but I wanted to make sure that the problem was exposed enough.
P.S I can sleeve the cylinders if the block is saved

carcrazy    -- 10-23-2019 @ 5:03 PM
  One trick to free up a frozen engine learned from some old tractor mechanics is to soak the entire block in a 55 gallon drum of kerosene for as long as it takes to free up the stuck pistons.

pauls39coupe    -- 10-23-2019 @ 6:08 PM
  Drill some 1/2" holes in the tops of the pistons, then use a chisel to break them out. Stay away from the cylinder wall.
I would check for cracks between the cylinder and the valve port area. Repairs in the valve port can be impossible if they run too deep into the port.

mfirth    -- 10-24-2019 @ 4:07 AM
  I know a guy who swears by putting Coke or Pepsi in the cyl, leave it set a day or 2 . Never did it myself....just might be woth a try.

srg    -- 10-24-2019 @ 4:34 AM
  I haven't personally tried this, but friends in the motorcycle world (I restore old Harleys) said they poured Kroyil into the cylinders on stuck pistons and just let it sit for awhile and the could push the pistons right out.

Robert/Texas    -- 10-24-2019 @ 4:38 AM
  Back in 1989, I bought a Model T with a frozen engine. I kept it at our country place which we visited every weekend. I removed the spark plugs and poured kerosene into the cylinders every week for about 3 months. When the engine came loose, I got it started and drove it for about a year, but it ran poorly. I tore it down, honed the cylinders, replaced the rings and ground the valves and seats. I still have this car and it runs well. If I did this today, I would use an ATF/acetone mix instead of kerosene.

GK1918    -- 10-24-2019 @ 6:07 AM
  I have had good results with a block in a cut in half barrel submerged in
water with some detergent and lit the fire under it, requires a lawn chair
fire wood several budwisers LOL and boil to steam. In my life time I have
never seen any snake oil work ! Heat = Heat is the answer. Or like Paul
said drill and break the top and stick a torch on the sides of pistons who
cares you will put new pistons in there. Another method I have done
on nasty stuck pistons after the dome is removed or busted out was to
cut the piston wrist pin -the aluminum not the wrist pin with a cut off
air tool its like old saying "to drop a big man down you start with his
legs and work ya way up" Make you feel better the 59A series has a way
better track record then later V8s far as cracks . Back then It was said
cracks mainly trucks pounded to death when the thermostats opened
the rush of cool water caused these valve seat cracks: I have NO scientific
proof but it does make sense. Then the idiot that poured pond water in
a over heated any engine back then equals cracks.

GK1918    -- 10-24-2019 @ 6:24 AM
  I strongly advise you to go to Utube type "fiat nutzt" John Edwards
machine in Calf. Lots of V8 Ford videos for all flatheads the how too's
watch sam

This message was edited by GK1918 on 10-24-19 @ 6:26 AM

39 Ken    -- 10-25-2019 @ 4:39 AM
  Pauls 39coupe has it correct. I would also remove the cam gear so the crank can move without the cam impeding the progress. The valves are probably stuck in the guides and with the cam gear in place, nothing will rotate.

sarahcecelia    -- 10-25-2019 @ 5:15 AM
  50/50 acetone and automatic transmission fluid is what the old timers used a lot to break things loose. It works better than most of the products sold, like Liquid Wrench, and such products.

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13337