Topic: Polishing and sealing paint finish

jimlamarca    -- 10-19-2019 @ 7:35 PM
  Hi All,
I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos by car detailers demonstrating a whole new barrage of car polishes and waxes. The newest products from Meguire's, Turtle Wax, and other brands, are silicone and ceramic sealants to be applied after finish prep with compound and/or claying. All of the cars in their demos are newer cars with two-stage clear coat finishes. Detailers extol their results as longer-lasting, greater protection, and high gloss and their demos show that.
My '36 Ford has an older nitrocellulose lacquer finish. It's in good condition, but could use a refreshing. I'd welcome comments from members on the use of these new ceramic based products for my car.
Thank you All, Jim

1934 Ford    -- 10-20-2019 @ 4:46 AM
  I have tried a few of the polish/sealants and like the cleaner shine it offers. However they all have the same drawback. On dark lacquer paint they show water spots as a dull white shadow if the water dries on the paint. For all the work to bring the old paint back to a deep shine, it's all ruined if you catch any raindrops while driving. Yuk!, back to square one.

1934 Ford's since 1972

trjford8    -- 10-20-2019 @ 7:20 AM
  I have had excellent results on older paint with Meguire's Cleaner Wax. It cleans, removes some slight oxidation and waxes at the same time. It's easy to find at Walmart, etc.

jimlamarca    -- 10-20-2019 @ 11:50 AM
  Thanks for your comment. What do you use as an alternative that works better for your '34?

jimlamarca    -- 10-20-2019 @ 11:53 AM
  Thanks TRJ. Have you tried any of the newer ceramic formulations?

1934 Ford    -- 10-21-2019 @ 10:58 AM
  I love then all until they get wet and white shadows appear. I like your question and am awaiting a answer like you are.
The people who make Torque polish/sealer say to clay bar the car first to get down to just paint. They say the white shadows come from the previous waxes.

1934 Ford's since 1972

This message was edited by 1934 Ford on 10-21-19 @ 10:59 AM

jimlamarca    -- 10-22-2019 @ 1:13 PM
  Got an e-mail response from Meguiars saying that all their products are suitable for a nitrocellulose lacquer finish. I responded with a further question about the water spots that appear after a rain. Have not heard back, but will let you know when I do.

trjford8    -- 10-23-2019 @ 2:40 PM
  I have not tried any of the newer ceramic formulas. I don't recall having any water spot issues with the Meguire's.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13327