Topic: Oil Filler cap scoop shape

pauls36fordor    -- 10-17-2019 @ 2:05 PM
  I have a 1936 Ford that is completely original. The oil filler cap is the triangular scoop shape. I know I can buy after market oil filler caps but they are not scoop shape and I want to maintain the originality. My question is do you know where I can find the mesh screen filter that goes into the triangle scoop. Mine is all corroded and looks like its partially if not completely blocked. The scoop itself is in good condition but I can't seem to get the filter out and I don't want to force it and damage it if those filters aren't available. I've seen the filler scoop caps on ebay but sans filter. Any suggestions or advice. Thanks

40 Coupe    -- 10-17-2019 @ 3:07 PM
  Try Third Gen Auto.

wmsteed    -- 10-21-2019 @ 8:34 AM
  Are you sure the scoop oil filler is an original Ford item?
I would assume the purpose being to force air into the block to offset blow bye, however, where is the added air supposed to exit the engine ?
I am the second owner of my '36 Delux 5 win coupe, bought the car in September 1952. Blow-bye was a big problem on early Fords, the result of poor maintenance, there were all kinds of gadgets to attach to the breather on the oil will pipe to minimize the vapors entering the passenger compartment.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 10-21-19 @ 8:45 AM

pauls36fordor    -- 10-22-2019 @ 5:57 AM
  According to their website. Third Gen Auto is no longer in business. But thanks for the suggestion.

The scoop oil filler breather cap was the most common used cap for the 1935 and 1936 engines (part #48-6766) Although the domed shaped breather cap was available in the dustier western territories . The scoop type had an oiled screen filter inside the scoop that needed to be cleaned and re-oiled periodically. So I suppose i could replace it with a dome shaped cap and still maintain my originality. Thanks for your reply. Good info to know.

Kens 36    -- 10-22-2019 @ 6:43 AM
  Third Gen Automotive is certainly in business and one of the best sources of OEM and hard-to-find parts. They are in McMinnville, TN. Call them at (844) 327-5988.

pauls36fordor    -- 10-22-2019 @ 8:44 AM
  Okay. Great. Thank you. I will call them

39 Ken    -- 10-22-2019 @ 8:58 AM
  The oil filler cap with the "air scoop" was standard in '35 and '36.

3w2    -- 10-22-2019 @ 9:58 AM
  Copper-colored Chore Boy or similar mesh steel wool is a good substitute for the original material behind the screen.

For the person wondering where the air exits, look under your car at the right front corner of the oil pan and you'll have your answer.

pauls36fordor    -- 10-22-2019 @ 2:56 PM
  Copper chore boy is an excellent idea. Thanks for the tip because i am having no luck finding a filter. Do you just pop out the filter? I've been afraid to tug or yank on mine to hard. It seems to be corroded in there tight. Years and years of never removing or cleaning it I'm guessing. Hard to grip it with a couple of fingers and have any leverage. I thought about putting a regular man's belt around the backside of the filter and just pull. Thanks again.

3w2    -- 10-22-2019 @ 5:29 PM
  It takes some effort to get the old screen and filter material out as there is a lip in the scoop to hold the screen in place. And then it takes some finesse to install the new material and cleaned screen back in place without buggering it all up.

Grant    -- 10-23-2019 @ 4:07 AM
  Hello Paul. Several years ago we restored an oil breather scoop for our '36.

It's the Ford of Canada version, off a '34 engine, but I suspect that yours is a similar design.

Attached are photos.

A long strip of stainless steel screening was cut to the correct height, and then wrapped around a shovel handle to make a hollow cylinder. After clamping the screen tightly in place, the end of the screen was glued with a generous coating of J B Weld.

Following several days of curing the stainless filter element was slid off the end of the shovel handle and press-fit into the scoop.

Hope this helps. All the best with your project.

pauls36fordor    -- 10-23-2019 @ 9:30 AM
  Thanks Grant. Fantastic information. And your screen looks incredibly clean, exactly the opposite of mine, but definitely the look I'm wanting to achieve also. Because you had to make your own I assume you were unable to find a source to purchase filters as well. Interesting why this part is so hard to find. Thanks a million for the idea. I can't wait to get started on mine.

Grant    -- 10-24-2019 @ 7:37 PM
  There were no "correct" reproduction air filter elements on the market which I could locate. Several modern cylindrical ones were available from lawn tractor dealers that could probably have been cut down to fit, but their appearance was wrong.

You might like to try a slightly coarser mesh. Perhaps the type of screening which is sometimes used in the caps on wood stove chimney pipes?

I don't think that stainless screen is a necessity, but it appealed to me because it's easy to work with and can be cleaned quickly using paint thinners and a small wire brush.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13319