Topic: Water Pumps

bo8109b    -- 06-02-2010 @ 6:40 AM
  Am about to install a set of Drake's water pumps in my '48. Should I be using a sealant on the gaskets?

40guy    -- 06-02-2010 @ 7:13 AM
  I use a small amount of sealer on the outer edge of the pump and gasket, then another small amount on the outer edge of the seal {block side} then install. you don't want too much sealer as it can obstruct water passage. In this case less is better. Also , it will be to your advantage to use a stainless bolt behind the hose. This is my method but opinions will vary.

ford38v8    -- 06-02-2010 @ 12:42 PM
  Always consider the next time you have to take apart something before you use any sealer on anything. For water pumps, which don't need sealer at all, think of replacing a pump at the side of the road somewhere with sealer to remove!

The gasket does need to be held in place for assembly, so a small amount of oil or grease will do that for you nicely. The stainless bolt inside the port is a must.

Alan

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-02-2010 @ 5:08 PM
  make sure your oil holes are not plugged up,
I would just use a little #2 PERMATEX.you do not want to end up with a oil leak.a very thin layer
KEEP ON TRUCKIN 37 RAGTOPMAN

parrish    -- 06-02-2010 @ 9:39 PM
  Alan had a nice post a while back about using short starter threads to temporarily hang the pump while inserting the permanant bolts one by one...saved my butt when my new Drakes didn't have the right bolt pattern!

parrish    -- 06-02-2010 @ 9:40 PM
  By the way, they work great!

supereal    -- 06-04-2010 @ 11:31 AM
  The new Drake pumps, also sold by Carpenter, have sealed ball bearings instead of bushings, and don't need the oil that drips down from the timing gear cover anymore. Some of the early Drake pumps had a manufacturing defect that placed bolt holes in the wrong place, but I've heard that has now been corrected. If you get a set, and the bolts don't fit, they should be returned for exchange.

Johns46coupe    -- 06-04-2010 @ 12:09 PM
  I put Drake pumps on my 46 and had to grind a little off each pump to clear the timing gear cover. Pays to do a test dry fit first. I also used a small amount of RTV as a sealant on both sides of the gasket.

John

parrish    -- 06-06-2010 @ 8:28 AM
  I had to grind the timing cover leg as well, but in addition one bolt hole (I think it was the same leg that needed grinding) was offset by about 1/16 and needed a little reeming to accept the bolt alignment. All of this was acknowledged by Drake as a known issue back in December...

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-06-2010 @ 1:08 PM
  I had SKIP rebuild a set of FORD SCRIPT pumps for my 37, wanted to keep more original,
it took me a while to find a set,
I had removed a set of repro pumps that were installed in the late 1970's and thought it was a time for new ones,and I heard the new pumps had problems with fit,
it's ok if you have the engine exposed so you can get at it,to start grinding the housing down to get something to fit,something that you should not have to do, for sure.,
lets hope the new versions will fit better,
KEEP ON TRUCKIN 37RAGTOPMAN

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 6-6-10 @ 3:52 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1331