Topic: Thermostats for 36 Ford?

36fordor    -- 10-06-2019 @ 7:05 AM
  Have nice restored 36 Ford. Had the usual overheating problems but better since Skip Haney water pump mod. Also radiator pressurized with Skip's valve. Not certain how functional this is now.

No thermostats.

1. What are pros & cons of thermostats? Car is not driven in winter.

2. Can thermostats IN ANY CASE actually make a car drive cooler?

Thank you.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-06-2019 @ 8:25 AM
  hi 36fordor
I use SKIPS pumps and the pressure valve,[ with sealed radiator cap] no thermostats, and use only distilled water and water pump lube
water wetter, in my 37
runs pretty cool with no real problems, I also try to stay out of traffic,
and do not use in PARADES,
never tried to use thermostats, though might run hotter, ?
my 2 cents 37 Ragtopman

alanwoodieman    -- 10-06-2019 @ 11:13 AM
  did you flush out the cooling system? if so what with? added water wetter as per Skip?

LarryK    -- 10-07-2019 @ 5:13 AM
  Thermostats are intended to maintain the engine coolant at the design operating temperature as determined by the designers of the engine. They promote thermal efficiency, effective lubrication, economy, and help minimize the formation of sludge. Upon starting a cold engine, the thermostats will only allow a minimum flow of coolant. As the coolant temperature increases, the thermostats will gradually open and then regulate the flow of coolant as necessary to maintain it at the design temperature. For my car, that is 160F.
All of the foregoing is predicated upon the heat transfer surfaces of the engine (block, cylinder heads, and radiator) being clean. If not, the resistance to the transfer of heat created by the fouled surfaces will result in an increase in the temperature of the coolant. In response, the thermostats will open further, but the increase coolant flow may not be sufficient to maintain the design operating temperature. This can lead to overheating. Thermostats will not make an engine run cooler.

Larry

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13287