Topic: Chassis Identification Number

Derby    -- 09-27-2019 @ 2:31 PM
  Apparently there are two locations where the chassis identification numbers are found on a 1937 Ford. One is on the driver's side frame about 6 inches forward of the body & frame junction. The other location is on the frame near the rear axle, also on the driver's side. Is there any way to see the the rear location numbers without removing the body?

CharlieStephens    -- 09-27-2019 @ 7:28 PM
  I think there are actually 3 locations on the frame (see http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm). The number also appears on the transmission case but in general the DMV will not use that location since it is common to change transmissions.

Charlie Stephens

42wagon    -- 09-28-2019 @ 3:18 AM
  I don't believe there is anyway to see the other two number locations 2ithout lifting the body.

Derby    -- 09-28-2019 @ 5:44 AM
  The comments are much appreciated and helpful. I am trying to buy a '37 that does not have the front frame ID. DMV is very strict. The options now are very clear.

CharlieStephens    -- 09-28-2019 @ 7:19 AM
  What does the seller say about the missing number? What number is on the title? Was it removed when a front clip was installed? Sometimes the numbers are very faint but can be brought out with acid like the "CSI" guys for gun serial numbers on TV. Does the number on the transmission match the title (probably interesting but not much value)? Sounds like it is probably time to lift the body. What does the DMV say?

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 9-28-19 @ 11:51 AM

carcrazy    -- 09-28-2019 @ 10:27 AM
  Are you positive the car does not have the front ID number? I once found the front number on a '37 Sedan Delivery by wiping the top of the left frame rail with lacquer thinner until down to bare metal. The number was there!

Derby    -- 09-29-2019 @ 8:07 AM
  The seller has not been able to find the number. He is selling the car for a deceased relative and has been very helpful. I just sent him the write up from Vanpelt. He plans to check for the transmission number and get some help from a friend who knows early Fords. The CT DMV was not helpful. I have not seen the car since it is some distance away. I suspect that with some careful paint removal and maybe a light etch the number is there. I will buy it if he finds a verifiable number.

CharlieStephens    -- 09-29-2019 @ 9:43 AM
  Thanks for the response, now I understand where you are coming from. If a state DMV renumbered the vehicle in the past they would have put a tag on the door jam. Any chance you can find an old license plate that could be traced. Is there a title with it and what number is on it?

Charlie Stephens

1937sedandelivery    -- 09-29-2019 @ 2:51 PM
  Here is an example of the VIN on the frame in front of the cowl, driver's side. This is from my 37 Fordor.

Derby    -- 09-30-2019 @ 9:56 AM
  Thanks,

If we can't find it now, there is no excuse. Facts are promised this week.

Derby    -- 10-04-2019 @ 1:46 PM
  The ID # has been uncovered and is consistent with registration. This forum was a great help and the pictures from 37sedandelivery provided direct motivation!

CharlieStephens    -- 10-04-2019 @ 2:04 PM
  I hate to ask, but where was it uncovered?

Charlie Stephens

Derby    -- 10-06-2019 @ 5:24 AM
  All that was required was paint removal at the expected front frame location. About two inches from the example provided here. The number had the correct star marks leading and trailing the stamped numbers.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13267