Topic: Oll Pan Drain Plug

sarahcecelia    -- 09-23-2019 @ 9:50 AM
  Has anyone ever figured out the best way to seal that plug so it doesn't leak???

I have tried the nylon washer, and the copper one, and they both leak drops.

Presently I'm using Teflon tape on the plugs threads, and it seems to help.

I think the problem is that Ford chose to use coarse threads on that plug. Fine threads don't seem to have that tendency to leak.

Regards, Steve Lee

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-23-2019 @ 10:28 AM
  hi Steve Lee
if you are using tape, it seems to me the plug treads are worn,
tape is taking up the play ?
compare the plug to another new one, hopefully a original
Napa carries oversize drain plugs,
hope this helps, 37Ragtopman

sarahcecelia    -- 09-23-2019 @ 1:36 PM
  Ragman,
The plug doesn't seem to be worn; I'm sure that's possible, but not probable, being it is constantly being oiled taking it in and out.

I currently own 5 classics, a '57 vette, (2) '50 fords and a '40 Ford; and they ALL always form a drop of oil on the lower edge of that drain plug and I have to keep a tray with "Speedy Dry" under them.

It probably is only about 3 or 4 ounces a year, but It's just annoying. All of those drain plugs seem to thread in very nicely without any "wobble" indicating worn threads. Maybe it's "Just the nature of the beast!;" but I hate leaks!!!

Regards, Steve Lee

carcrazy    -- 09-23-2019 @ 8:22 PM
  Are you sure the oil is not coming from the rear main seal or the road draft tube?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-24-2019 @ 7:13 AM
  hi Steve Lee
this was your request for help
Has anyone ever figured out the best way to seal that plug so it doesn't leak

I still think you have worn treads on either the plug or the pan, or both, this happens over time, from many oil changes,
being that these cars did not drip when new
try using a fiber drain plug gasket, and new drain plug, also measure that they are long enough,
some of the oil pans has a inserts on them [that were pressed in and these over time would loosen up, and seep from there, Model A used these, not sure of the V8'S do not have a V8 pan to examine,
let us know if you find the problem ,just trying to help,
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 9-24-19 @ 7:23 AM

trjford8    -- 09-24-2019 @ 7:13 AM
  I would not use Teflon tape on any threads around oil or gas.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13247