Topic: 1937 Four door Hood bolt mounting question

Tmahle    -- 09-23-2019 @ 9:02 AM
  Hello,
I am looking for anyone who has the original hood bolts and star like washer still on their 1937 Ford.

The bolts have a hole in the head and I believe are wired to the other bolt to hold the hood on. All the pictures I find on the web no one wires these and the modern washer is different with not explanation where it goes.

Does the washer go after the bolt head or in between the bracket and the hood? Which way does the teeth on the washer go for it is like a cup?

Below is the washers picture I am unsure where they go or which way.
Thanks
Tim

This message was edited by Tmahle on 9-24-19 @ 5:57 AM

trjford8    -- 09-24-2019 @ 7:26 AM
  I honestly don't think those star washers go with those bolts. The star washers shown appear to be a "cup" style washer and the bottom of the bolt head is flat. The bolts for the hood are shoulder bolts and are safety wired together so they cannot work loose.

1937sedandelivery    -- 09-24-2019 @ 9:24 AM
  I agree. The Green Bible and Chassis Parts List book indicate the washer is a standard 1/4" flat washer.
gregg

Tmahle    -- 09-30-2019 @ 2:26 PM
  It is possible but picture above does not show the bolts or the washers. All the catalogs I have looked at show a wavy washer I assume goes right under flat bolt but I have seen some bolts with a shoulder which my bots which are original don't have.

The washer I suppose are subject to debate for I simply don't know over time what has occurred. I can take more pictures showing the holes in the hood in which the "cup" like washer appear to grip into. Why I have no idea, it could be to prevent spinning and ware is on washer.

JayChicago    -- 10-02-2019 @ 1:02 PM
  I just installed the available replacement bolts with washers on my '40. Appears to be same design as the '37. For what its worth, here's my take on how it should work:

The bolts are intended to be left loose to prevent binding as the hinge arms pivot here. Hence the aircraft wire through the bolt head, to keep the loose bolts from turning and vibrating out.

The springy washer is there to prevent rattling, since this connection is intentionally loose. The washers I got (from Joe's Antique Auto) were actually cup shaped rather than just wavy. I put the wide side of the washer against the underside of the bolt head, with the tapered side toward the hood pivot pin. The hinge arm can move in-out a tad if it needs to as the hinge goes thru its motion.

This message was edited by JayChicago on 10-2-19 @ 2:07 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13246