Topic: Charging

silverchief    -- 09-18-2019 @ 3:24 PM
  Generator and regulator were operating correctly in my stock 46 excepting the generator output was not as high as it should be to maintain battery charge. Swapped out the regulator for a new one I had with parts. Polarized generator, then started engine. Initially the ampmeter was flucuating but not wildly back and forth. Shortly it settled down and showed the generator charging correctly with a charging rate s little higher than it was previously. Very good. However, after a minute or so later it showed no charge whatsoever.. I took both to a generator shop where one was announced to be perfect, including a correct charging rate, and the other to be bad.

I reinstalled the good regulator, polarized the generator, and started the engine. No charging whatsoever Amp needle sets perfectly still, excepting it will register discharge if I operate the headlights or radio.

A voltmeter across battery terminals with engine at idle shows 6, same as if it were not running.
Increasing rpms shows no increase whatsoever.Can't believe the generator is bad, I had it rebuilt couple of years ago, and it was charging before this. Could there be another explanation? Appreciate any suggestions.

This message was edited by silverchief on 9-18-19 @ 3:25 PM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-18-2019 @ 3:35 PM
  HI
do not go by the dash gauge, use a hand held voltmeter when checking the output
this will rule out the dash gauge, [ it could be at fault } maybe a loose connection ?
check this out,
test the battery with a battery tester, if low charge it, and load test to see if it is ok
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

TomO    -- 09-19-2019 @ 7:23 AM
  Set the engine speed to about 1200 RPM using the throttle. Connect your voltmeter to the BAT terminal of the voltage regulator and read the voltage. If it is not above 7 volts, then use a jumper wire to connect the ARM terminal to the FLD terminal for a short time. This will make the generator give its maximum output and the meter should read above 7.6 volts.

Do NOT leave the jumper on for more than 1 minute as you will fry the generator.

Make sure that the grounding wire from the generator to the regulator is good and that the regulator is grounded to the firewall.

Tom

GK1918    -- 09-19-2019 @ 9:12 AM
  Could be the cutout isn't closing. Take the reg. cover off and push
the cutout with your finger while engine is running. If nothing maybe
time to look into the generator. Or we all hate taking the belt off and
again push the cutout -engine off. Now the generator should act like
a motor. If it motors it should charge with the belt back on. All I can
think of for now. could be a weak or broken brush spring??

This message was edited by GK1918 on 9-19-19 @ 9:14 AM

silverchief    -- 09-19-2019 @ 2:01 PM
  Well, the way I look at it it takes a big man to admit when he is wrong - or as in this case, done something really stupid.

The 3 wires to the alternator are very well identified and well spaced. So simple, there is no way to switch one for the other - right?

After making sure for the umteenth time that the alternator was well grounded, that I polarized the generator, and having run out of options, I decided to study the wiring schematic on the one in a million shot that the regulator was not wired correctly. Even though there was obviously no way....I took it into the garage for direct comparison and uo uo .............you can guess the rest of the story.

Bottom line is I discovered that when wired correctly, the voltage regulator and the generator in my car work just fine.

Do me a really huge favor and try to forget Silverchief ever posted this thread.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13240