Topic: Temperature gauge installing on engine block

bassemir    -- 09-17-2019 @ 3:40 PM
  I bought a new gauge for my 1935 Convertible Sedan with a 1939 flathead engine. The sending unit for the replacement gauge does not have the right thread / size to fit into one of the engine plugs. I believe the port on the engine block is 3/8 (looks like a fine thread). On the sender it looks like a 3/8 but with a coarse thread.

I've hit the local automotive shops and Lowes for what think is a tube nut with a 3/8 fine thread in and a 3/8 course thread out. But to be honest I am not 100% sure about the sending unit. I got it from Mac's but the documentation does not give specs on the threads on the sending unit.

So far none of those places has had the right fitting.

This car came with an under dash temp gauge. That gauge sending unit is currently on the engine right side. I see the fitting they used. I am trying to do the same setup on the left side. I suppose I can take apart the right side to see what was used, but first I thought I would check with you folks.

I'll attach some photos.

Can anyone tell me where I might find this particular fitting?

RichB

carcrazy    -- 09-17-2019 @ 3:47 PM
  It is a special aftermarket fitting which I bought from a local auto parts store several years ago. As I recall, they had to special order the part. Try the large speed shops like Speedway Motors and Summit Racing Equipment.

bassemir    -- 09-17-2019 @ 8:57 PM
  Thanks carcrazy...

You wouldn't happen to know the type of thread on the sensor fitting would you?

I believe the plug on the engine is 3/8 NPT but I have not yet figured out what the other half of the fitting needs to be to accept the new temp sensor.

RichB

42merc    -- 09-18-2019 @ 6:26 AM
  Try NAPA part number 960615-0606.
This is a brass bushing that works with the stock capillary tube.

therunwaybehind    -- 09-18-2019 @ 7:28 AM
  It is not likely a bolt or nut kind of thread like SAE but rather a pipe thread like 1/8 pipe which would look fine to you or 1/4 pipe which would look coarse. 3/8 pipe would be, I think, too big. Then of course there is the possibility it is metric and all American bets are off. Weatherhead was a big box of fittings we once had where I worked. I was once told that the fittings in pipe were described by the inside diameter of the pipe when made in iron. This diameter was rough and not refined for brass. That is why their outside diameter which is threaded does not fit with machine screw dimensions. I looked up the part number for the stock Bulb (heat indicator) 10884 but online it comes out 1964 Mustang and a size that comes out .656 inch and I would call 11/32 calculating 20.992 as .656 divided by 32. It does also say NPT. The mechanical sending unit you have attached needs a bushing specified like 3/8 male x 1/4 male to give an OD of .656 in the head.

This message was edited by therunwaybehind on 9-18-19 @ 4:48 PM

bassemir    -- 09-19-2019 @ 10:59 AM
  Thanks guys for the comments.... I found the adapter. Summit has an adapter called "AUTO METER 2263 Temperature Sensor". It has 5/8 inch-18 UNF female to 3/8 inch NPT male. I believe it is just what I need. The only issue with Summit is the $10 shipping for a $10 adapter.

So I looked on Amazon (what else??) and found the adapter for $11 and free shipping. Plus it arrives today so no need to hit any more speed shops.

Thanks for your feedback.

RichB

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13237