Topic: install cowl wiring

overdrive    -- 09-15-2019 @ 2:39 PM
  I'm going to install the under-the-dash cowl wiring harness in my '50 shoebox. I have removed the defroster ductwork and the reinforcing brace behind the speedometer. I know I will have to remove the instrument cluster to take out the black light filters. Any words of wisdom or caution before I get past the point of no return?

trjford8    -- 09-16-2019 @ 6:48 AM
  I'm assuming you have a correct wire diagram. If not you need to have one. Mount the main part of the harness in the car just like it was from the factory. Then make your connections to the switches, gauges, and accessories. You will want to remove the switches, gauge cluster etc. to connect the wires and then put them back in the dash. You've probably already disconnected the battery, but if not make sure it is disconnected.

overdrive    -- 09-17-2019 @ 12:44 PM
  Thank you for the information. After other suggestions I've heard, I am removing the dashboard. I will also remove the black light filters and paint the instrument bulbs. This and other forums have been very helpful.

fsacht    -- 09-17-2019 @ 2:04 PM
  I've got a '49 and the black light effect is one of my favorite things. If you remove those bulb domes and paint the bulbs will you lose that neat black light appearance?

Model B    -- 09-17-2019 @ 5:40 PM
  The black light filters on my '50 will not allow any light through. I have tried LEDs in place of the original bulbs and the
light still did not penetrate the filter. I have a nice extra cluster that I have removed the filters from and installed LED bulbs. I will post a couple of pictures with the LED bulbs installed...one picture has clear LED bulbs (white) and the other has Green LEDs installed. My plans are to install/replace the cluster in my car...when I feel ambitious!

Compare the first picture with the second picture. I somehow inserted an extra copy of the second picture!

This message was edited by Model B on 9-17-19 @ 5:42 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13229