Topic: Engine Cleaners

jimlamarca    -- 09-08-2019 @ 8:19 PM
  Looking for comments or suggestions from members about the use of engine cleaners such as SeaFoam, Techron, or Lucas. Saw some YouTube videos that tout the efficacy of these products to remove sludge from engine. Thanks for your responses. Jim

40cpe    -- 09-09-2019 @ 7:13 AM
  You will likely get several opinions on this topic, depending on the severity of the deposits. Usually the consensus is that heavy buildup requires at least removing the intake and oil pan to clean the gunk from those areas. Trying to break up gunk with detergents risks having chunks break off and restrict oil passages. It would probably take a petroleum engineer to predict the results of using those products.

MG    -- 09-09-2019 @ 11:05 AM
  After sitting idle for quite a spell, my '53 ran terrible; missing and stumbling. I determined that it was a fuel delivery problem and figured I would either have to rebuild or replace the carburetor. Before attempting that fix I decided to pour a bottle of Chevron Techron into the gas tank. I was really impressed that after a very short time the engine smoothed out and ran like a champ....

40cpe    -- 09-09-2019 @ 11:18 AM
  I understood, possibly in error, that the concern of the original poster was sludge in the engine. If he was referring to the fuel system, I apologize.

MG    -- 09-09-2019 @ 2:32 PM
  The products he cited (SeaFoam, Techron, or Lucas) are fuel system cleaners. Thus, my interpretation of his query....

jimlamarca    -- 09-09-2019 @ 2:51 PM
  I was originally thinking about engine sludge, but I think these products work well in cleaning out the fuel system. In one case it goes into the gas tank and the other it's added to the oil. If you want to explore this further, I suggest you go to the YouTube videos showing mechanics who have tested both uses. In any case, it seems like it can't hurt and might help as MG experienced with his '53.

supereal    -- 09-17-2019 @ 12:24 PM
  Attempting to remove sludge and assorted deposits without engine disassembly usually results damage as the deposits reach bearings, causing failure. Sludge buildup was typical in early years until detergents were added. This, in conjunction with oil filters to remove contaminants, extended engine life.

jimlamarca    -- 09-17-2019 @ 6:30 PM
  Thanks MG, Your experience hit home because I recently found out that the 1936 Ford I bought last March had in fact been sitting for years, with very little use. Probably leading to stale gas and oil, and clogged fuel lines. I'm going to try the Techron to see if it does the trick.

GK1918    -- 09-18-2019 @ 3:00 PM
  Spend a little time blow out fuel lines and tank. Depending on how long
may need a fuel pump and bet my life accelerating pump and gaskets
on the carburetor is all shrunk'ed up. What ever you do, is do not pour
cleaners or snake oils in the crankcase or sludge and varnish will loosen
up & go thru the system and you will be headed for a total rebuild. I would
drop the pan and clean that and oil pump screen thats all. Im sorry but
I'm not a believer in snake oils, when I get down to 1/2 tank of gas I add
1/2 of a water bottle of engine oil to the tank then fill er up to mix it. to me
its wow this thing can snap ya head off. try it (just any #20 oil) sam

sarahcecelia    -- 09-20-2019 @ 7:23 AM
  Where can I buy a bottle of that Chevron Techron???

Regards, Steve Lee

40cpe    -- 09-20-2019 @ 7:34 AM
  I would venture to say that any store that sells auto goods has it. My Wal Mart has it for under $5. The manufacturer of my wife's car recommends a bottle of techron every 6000 miles IF top-tier gasoline isn't used.

MG    -- 09-20-2019 @ 10:59 AM
  I buy Chevron Techron at O'Reilly's Auto Parts Store....

len47merc    -- 09-23-2019 @ 10:01 AM
  Have never found anything that works BETTER on a lacquer'd - up fuel system than Sea Foam. As good as - well, maybe, but none better.

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13211