Topic: 1941 truck 6 Volt System

fordtruck41    -- 09-07-2019 @ 4:18 PM
  I have a 1941 Ford truck 6 volt positive ground. Battery only charging slightly.
Only get 6.75 volts on battery terminals on fast idle.
About 6.8 volts on generator terminal on fast idle.
Generator is stock 1941.
I replaced brushes but did not help.
Possible coils or rotor problem??? Which one is most likely cause?
Thanks..

cliftford    -- 09-07-2019 @ 4:33 PM
  Is the battery fully charged? If so this sounds about right. What happens when you turn on the headlights? Does the charge increase when you rev it? If not I'd look for a regulator problem.

TomO    -- 09-08-2019 @ 8:58 AM
  Your voltage regulator is not working correctly. 6.75 volts from the generator tells me that the generator is working and the voltage regulator is not. You should have 7.2-7.6 Volts from the generator when the regulator is working correctly.

Tom

fordtruck41    -- 09-08-2019 @ 9:24 AM
  Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot to mention I replaced the regulator with a new one. Also when I replaced the gen
brushes I checked and made sure the brushes moved freely in the brush brackets and spring tension appears to be good. Also polarized the gen after all the other work was done.
When turning on the headlights the amp meter shows negative charge and when reving the engine the amp meter will return to
zero or a VERY small amount above zero.
Even with a partially discharged battery the results are the same.
The regulator as mentioned is new. Possible the regulator needs adjusting?
I know that is a sensitive issue.

MGG    -- 09-08-2019 @ 9:08 PM
  I had a similar problem two years ago with my 40 truck. I had to take my new regulator and generator to a battery/electrical shop where they adjusted the regulator output up to 7.4 volts. This solved the charging problem. The battery gauge in the dash lived in the green section after this adjustment. TomO helped me with this. Thanks again TomO.

fordtruck41    -- 09-09-2019 @ 7:16 AM
  Glad to hear you got it fixed. I will probably have to do the same with mine.
Thanks....Robert

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13206