Topic: Hydrolic brakes and hub caps

Ron3181    -- 09-05-2019 @ 1:05 PM
  I have Hydrolic brakes on my 36 and when used it pulls to the right anybody have ideals. Also what is the best way to take the hub caps off without doing damage to the painted wheel?

pauls39coupe    -- 09-05-2019 @ 2:02 PM
  Check for: a leaking wheel cylinder, greasy brake shoes, bad brake adjustment, worn spindle bushings, under inflated tires, bent tie rod, excess toe out, bad wheel bearing, loose tie rod or drag link ends, bad spring, bad shock, loose pitman arm.
Let us know what you find.

Ron3181    -- 09-05-2019 @ 2:54 PM
  will do

nelsb01    -- 09-05-2019 @ 10:12 PM
  To remove 1936 to 1939 Ford hubcaps, I use a tire iton that came in the tool kit. I first attach a piece of painters masking tape on the rim and then tap in the tire iron.
I know that Bob Drake Reproduction Ford Parts sells a developed tool that will work, but I do not own one.
I also have a lug wrench that has a rubber tipped end (fr0m the auto manufacturer) but that is harder to use since the end that is rubber tipped is a little too wide to fit between the hubcap and rim and you have to pound on the other end to get it to fit between the rim and cap.

Hope this helps.

MG    -- 09-05-2019 @ 10:22 PM
  I really like to use Bob Drake's tool called the 'Wheel Wizard' for removing hub caps. Here's a video on how it works. > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mayIT2jQ_G0

Ron3181    -- 09-06-2019 @ 12:25 PM
  Pauls39coupe things for the information, however all that was checked, you got anything else to add that you think is funny.

I purchased the wheel wizard that was exactly what I needed, thanks for the information.

pauls39coupe    -- 09-06-2019 @ 6:23 PM
  Nothing funny to add Ron, just a life time of chasing down problems with engines and drive lines.
We had a guy tie down his 36 to his trailer with straps around the tie rod. It bent the rod so that the wheels toed out one and 3/4 of an inch! It pulled hard right. You should be toed in about 1/16".
Another car had bad spindle bushings/king pins, once again pulled hard right when braking.
We have seen all manor of loose tie rod ends, a pitman arm ready to fall off and miss adjusted brakes, brake drums turned way over size, faulty wheel cylinders. We had a customer complain about a front end alignment when his problem was a flat tire!
I hope you take the time to check the items I mentioned.You should find the problem. Let us know.
Paul

JayChicago    -- 09-07-2019 @ 11:25 AM
  I believe TomO has posted that the rubber flex hose can fatigue with age and then expand slightly with applied pressure.

I have similar problem on my '40. Had good brakes but then it started pulling to the right. I adjusted the brakes on the front left side and at first appeared to be better, but as the shoes seated the pulling condition soon re-appeared. Next step was rebuilding the left wheel cylinder even though there was no sign of leakage. Again appeared to be better with a fresh shoe adjustment, but soon the pulling re-appeared.

My planned next step is to replace the rubber hose.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13200