Topic: Light switch wiring

Shark    -- 09-02-2019 @ 4:56 AM
  Is there a rubber grommet were the wires come out of the light switch on the bottom of the steering column? Its on a 1937 tudor sedan slantback. Thanks Bruce

1937sedandelivery    -- 09-02-2019 @ 9:58 AM
  Bruce,
I have two 37 Sedans and neither one have a grommet, not to say there wasn't one there originally, but I believe no grommet was used.
To me, Ford seemed to be stingy with grommets. My 37 Sedan Delivery rear taillight wiring simply comes out of the taillight housing and passes through a hole in the body, no grommet. I am leaving it that way for now, but am always looking for any chafing.
gregg

VT/JeffH    -- 09-02-2019 @ 10:39 AM
  Shark, are you asking about the place indicated in the screen grab, where the bundle of light switch wires exit the 'bulb' at the bottom of the steering column? I think you are.

My experience is with 35-36, and on those two years, from the assembly plant, there was an asbestos sock that fit over the wires in that area to protect them from being so close to the exhaust crossover pipe. This sock is almost never seen on vehicles today.

No rubber that I've ever heard of or seen.

-VT/JeffH

Shark    -- 09-02-2019 @ 6:24 PM
  Ya that's the spot. Thanks Jeff and Gegg. Another question. Does the speedometer cable go through the same hole as the hand break cable? And I'm thinking no grommet there either? Thanks Bruce

1937sedandelivery    -- 09-02-2019 @ 6:48 PM
  They are not routed the same. The speedometer cable goes through a small hole on the lower left of the cowl, and I believe there is a grommet for this. The handbrake cable is routed underneath a plate attached in the center top area of the wood floorboard. A pic is attached. You have to look closely. Also, there is an article that describes/illustrates some of this in the most recent copy of the EFV8 magazine, if you subscribe to that.
I can take more pics if needed.
gregg

1937sedandelivery    -- 09-02-2019 @ 7:55 PM
  and FYI...
I found that the speedometer cable to dash grommet is p/n B-14567-A, as identified in the V8 Chassis Parts Lists June 1937, page 146. I googled it and could not find any valid hits, nor dimensions.
gregg

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13189