Topic: 1947 Ford Super Deluxe Convertible

DaleM    -- 08-13-2019 @ 10:46 AM
  I have recently replaced the convertible top cylinders and springs and trying to find the fill plug on the pump. I'm sure the orientation of the pump is incorrect as well as the lines seem to have quite a bit of slack on the firewall side and causing issues. Any suggestions would help.

supereal    -- 08-13-2019 @ 1:00 PM
  Release the bail that hold the reservoir to the pump and lower the reservoir. Fill the fluid to about 3/4 of capacity and replace the reservoir on the pump. Be sure the gasket on the top of the reservoir is in place when you raise the bail. If you are using brake fluid, be careful as it will remove paint.

DaleM    -- 08-14-2019 @ 8:34 AM
  Thanks for the advise I am going to give that a go this morning. It's hard to tell what fluid is in this since we are not the first to have it apart. Kind of smells like brake fluid but has a red color like trans fluid. Since the cylinders are new I may just remove the pump and clean it out and go with trans fluid.

kubes40    -- 08-14-2019 @ 9:48 AM
  Transmission fluid is too often not kind to rubber seals. I might suggest hydraulic pump fluid available at any decent farm supply.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 8-14-19 @ 9:49 AM

DaleM    -- 08-14-2019 @ 10:14 AM
  Thanks for the advise. I have some of that as well so no problem.

DaleM    -- 08-20-2019 @ 8:53 AM
  Came across another issue. It appears that when this was put together it was in haste since none of the wiring is correct. I have that sorted but there must be a ground strap somewhere that mounts to the pump body going to the firewall. Any body know if this is a braided strap and where it attaches??? If you know of an illustration that shows that too would help.

supereal    -- 08-20-2019 @ 10:14 AM
  The diagram shown in the 44-52 Ford parts catalog shows a short strap between one of the pump mounting bolts and the firewall. It is a solid strap with a hole at each end. As a fellow owner of a '47 convertible, I suggest you order a copy of the catalog, V-44, from C&G (800) 266-0470, $56. It shows details of your car that will be important for most of the components of your car, including details of the complicated top mechanism.

DaleM    -- 08-20-2019 @ 10:18 AM
  Thank You. I will do just that.

DaleM    -- 08-28-2019 @ 8:57 AM
  Just an update. Since getting a proper ground strap fitted to the back side of the solenoid to the firewall stud and flushing the lines through we have had some success. The top goes up and down as designed and seems to line up nicely when the top is up. I did get some canvas sleeves made and they fit well. The top has an actual glass rear window that zips into place. Does the window have to be removed or unzipped when the top is in the down position? Can you still get a new gasket for the reservoir on the pump? this one is quite brittle and would like to replace it. Seems everyone I call says they don't make them any more.

supereal    -- 09-09-2019 @ 2:44 PM
  I leave the rear window in place when I lower the top on my '47. Just be sure that the back bow is free to swing on its mounting bolts so it doesn't allow the top to bunch up. When lowering the top I pause several times to check to see that all folds are even. The best place to get convertible parts that I have found is Hydro-E-Lectric. their phone number is800/343-4261.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13141