Topic: fordomatic 52

custom    -- 05-28-2010 @ 7:11 PM
  What is the correct method of checking the level of fluid in the 1952 fordomatic?

supereal    -- 05-29-2010 @ 9:25 AM
  With the transmission in the N (neutral) position, run the engine at idle speed at least 4 minutes. With engine idling, put the selector in the PARK position. When the engine and transmission has reached operating temperature, move the selector thru all positions, and back to P. Clean dirt from around the transmission dipstick cap. Pull the dipstick and wipe it clean, then reinsert it, being sure the stick is all the way down, then pull it and read the fluid level. Add the correct fluid to raise the level to the F on the dipstick.

custom    -- 05-30-2010 @ 7:29 AM
  Thanks for the reply! I will give it a try! I also would like to know if anyone out there has any ideas to change the access to the trans to check the fluid other than through the floor as I am about to install the carpet and dont really want to cut out a section if I don't have to???

supereal    -- 05-30-2010 @ 9:20 AM
  You are welcome. The info came from our Ford-O-Matic shop manual. If you don't want to cut a hole for the dipstick, I'd leave the carpet loose so it can be laid back or removed for the few time you need to check the fluid level. Those transmissions did tend to leak will usually show signs around the rear end of the extension housing, the part between the transmission and drive shaft. If you see fluid on the bottom of the floor pan there, a new extension seal will usually fix it. The shift levers also have a seal. If you see leakage at the front, determine whether it is motor oil or transmission fluid. Oil is from the rear main engine seal, while fluid can be from loose converter drain plugs or bolts. Placing a sealer on the plugs or tightening the converter bolts to 25-28 foot pounds will usually do the job. If you have to add fluid frequently, these places need inspection.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1314