Topic: Blowing smoke

fenbach    -- 08-06-2019 @ 8:50 PM
  I have a’37 engine with new rings and the valve seats reground. Even after running it intermittently for several hours now it still blows clouds of blue smoke. Especially when I gun the engine. All the plugs are black with soot. And the oil turns black. Runs like a Swiss watch otherwise. Could the rings need more time to seat? Or??
Thanks

carcrazy    -- 08-06-2019 @ 8:56 PM
  What was done to the cylinders before the new rings were installed? Did you measure them, bore them, and hone them before installing the new rings? If the cylinders are worn, you will have to do the above listed steps as well as installing oversize pistons of the appropriate size to have a smoke-free engine.

sarahcecelia    -- 08-07-2019 @ 5:10 AM
  "SEATING NEW RINGS"

Drive about 40-45 MPH in 3rd gear, let the car slow to about 25MPH and the while still in 3rd gear give it just enough gas to "lug" it up to 40-45 MPH again.

Do this 10 times to seat the rings.

I rebuilt many VW motors when I worked for VW in the 60's and 70's, and this was the preferred method to seat the new rings.

Regards, Steve Lee

TomO    -- 08-07-2019 @ 7:07 AM
  Your plugs and oil could be turning black because your carburetor is running rich or leaking extra fuel into the combustion chamber. Here is a link to a plug color chart. Check to see if your plugs are oil fouled or carbon fouled

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239888

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-07-2019 @ 10:00 AM
  Did you use chrome rings.? these take a long time to seat if at all,
how was the ring gap ? in the cylinders, used a feeler gauge,? checked the specs,
with car running and air cleaner off, does it run different,[ dirty air cleaner cause running rich,/ look down the carb and see if you see gas running, , overflowing ?
black oil is caused by gas,
carburetor running rich,
did you try adjusting it,
let here how you made out
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman
you can also check the oil breather cap if the engine has blow by, [ pressure coming out ? ]
this is also worn or unseated rings,
I assume you replaced all the valves and valve guides,
ALSO if the engine was using oil before...... the EXHAUST SYSTEM could have a oil coating in it,and is burning it OFF
just a thought,
see it, before. take the car for a ride,,,, like 10 miles and see if it still smokes,
do this before any engine work

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 8-8-19 @ 8:42 AM

sarahcecelia    -- 08-07-2019 @ 10:25 AM
  Blue smoke is oil!! Usual rule of thumb is:

On acceleration-Bad rings, or new rings not seated yet.

On deceleration-bad valve stem seals.

Regards, Steve Lee

srg    -- 08-07-2019 @ 11:05 AM
  I hope they put the rings in right side up.

supereal    -- 08-19-2019 @ 8:09 AM
  It is important to know that the correct amount of oil in an engine without a filter is four quarts. With a filter, it is five quarts. Overfilling can cause the appearance of ring or valve problems such as smoking.

alanwoodieman    -- 08-19-2019 @ 4:52 PM
  what oil did you use for break in ? friend put synthetic oil in his 40 engine and we changed out for 10w40 and it finally seated the rings

supereal    -- 08-20-2019 @ 10:24 AM
  We don't recommend full synthetic to owners of early cars. As said above it can interfere with the seating of the rings, particularly lightly driven vehicles. Synthetic oil is almost universal in today's newest cars, and is usually stated in the owner's manual as necessary to maintain a warranty. For older vehicles,
it tends to aggravate the usual leakage points, such as the primitive rope seals and other places. For the difference in price, you can change regular oil frequently, and get the same protection.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13126