Topic: New Tires for a ‘36?

Garrison202    -- 07-27-2019 @ 3:40 PM
  With your help, my ‘36 is on the verge of passing inspection. She just needs new tires. I happen to be only s few hours away from Mac’s antique auto supply in Lockport, NY. Is there anything an amateur should know as he shops for new tires? Anything to avoid? Anything to look for?

And I like the look, but are white wall tires historically appropriate for a ‘36 Phaeton convertible?

kubes40    -- 07-27-2019 @ 3:56 PM
  DOUBLE whitewall tires were "correct" for your '36. That is, white on both sides. Single side white wall tires are not correct.
If authenticity matters to you, Firestone supplied tires to Ford back then and Ford (of course) made them as well.
6:00 x 16" was the stock tire on all deluxe models.
You might just compare the prices at Coker. Also, if you join the HAMB website, you get a 10% discount at Coker.
I prefer Coker as they have always got my orders correct and shipped promptly.

I am not certain if other manufacturers supplied tires to Ford in '36. Perhaps Don Rogers could weigh in here???

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

pinnsky    -- 07-27-2019 @ 4:52 PM
  I bought Cokers for my 36, but got them from Summit Racing. Same price as Coker, but free shipping .

3w2    -- 07-27-2019 @ 8:00 PM
  Garrison202,

Double wsw tires were a regular production option throughout the '36 model year in the U.S. Some folks prefer blackwalls, but would the phaeton in the attached photo look better with blackwalls?
Not by a long shot, at least to me, its owner

Mike,

There were no Ford-made tires during the '36 model year (nor during the '37 model year). Ford used Firestone, Goodyear, B.F. Goodrich, and U.S. Tire (known later as U.S. Royal) tires. In the original 6.00 - 16 size, only Firestone and Goodyear tires are presently available and only the Goodyear version has the same tread and sidewall design as the original '36 version.

This message was edited by 3w2 on 7-28-19 @ 2:29 PM

Don Rogers    -- 07-27-2019 @ 8:39 PM
  Ford used 4 suppliers for tires in 1935-36...Firestone, Goodyear, BF Goodrich and UniRoyal (Us Rubber Co) The majority were Firestone followed by Goodyear. Double sided white wall tires were an option in 35-36, but probably about 90% of the cars were shipped with black wall tires.

The only viable source for a 600-16 double white wall today is the Firestone reproduction.
Blackwall tires are available as Firestone and Goodyear reproductions.

If you prefer blackwalls, I strongly recommend the Goodyear reproduction. It has the most authentic sidewall and tread design.

If authenticity isn't your cup of tea, then there are quite a few 600-16 bias ply tires on the market.

Here is a comparison of an original Goodyear ad and the reproduction.

This message was edited by Don Rogers on 7-27-19 @ 8:42 PM

kubes40    -- 07-28-2019 @ 11:02 AM
  No Ford tires in '36. I continue to learn. THANK YOU!

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Don Rogers    -- 07-28-2019 @ 11:14 AM
  Mike and others..Here's a brief timeline of Ford tire production.

Steve Kennedy    -- 07-28-2019 @ 7:31 PM
  Take a look at the assembly line photo of the deluxe 4-door sedan being dropped on the chassis. There is a clear shot of the U.S. Royal front tire. OH, I like the fender cover too. Anyone making them? If not, I might have to try.

Anyone have any connections at Coker? It would great if they would make a double whitewall 6.00 x 16 RADIAL. It would look correct and would ride great!
Steve

This message was edited by Steve Kennedy on 7-28-19 @ 7:34 PM

51woodie    -- 07-29-2019 @ 4:12 AM
  Garrison You could check out Universal Tire in Hershey. I got good pricing and excellent service when I picked up the tires for my '46. I took my bare rims with me, and they mounted and balanced them. A bit of a drive from Northern Ontario, but well worth the trip for me, as the sellers in Ontario have high prices.

https://www.universaltire.com/

Mr Rogers    -- 07-29-2019 @ 4:48 PM
  kubes 40 mentioned Don (probably not the same Don Rogers) purchased 4 Cokers for my 36 Delux and they worked out and look great. I just purchased a spare off Ebay and became aware of 2 whitewall sizes. $167 off Ebay. 600 x 16 but it seems to have about an additional 1" dia.

Grant    -- 07-30-2019 @ 6:08 AM
  Our '36 had Coker WWW radials when we bought it.

Using a second set of five rims, Firestone 3 1/4 inch WWWs from Lucas Tire in Ohio were installed (current price is $221.00). They ride and drive just fine.

Would the car look better with blackwalls? In my opinion, no.

1934 Ford    -- 08-08-2019 @ 3:01 PM
  Garrison,
Welcome to the V8 Forums. One thing you'll find here is that we have opinions, lots of them. As you can see, there are many opinions on whitewall vs blackwall tires. It's something that can be totally your choice.
If you like whitewalls, buy what you like be remember originally they had whitewalls in both sides if the tire. That may be very hard an very expensive today. Most cars were manufactured with blackwall tires because they were produced in the middle of the Great Depression and money was scarce for most people.
However, google 1936 Ford pictures and you will see many with whitewalls today. They make the car look prettier to many of us,
and it the owners choice. The size is 600 X 16, blackwalls are slightly cheaper. It's up to you! Good Luck.
My 1934 Ford cars have all had whitewalls. My 1935 Ford Pickup has blackwalls. My choice.
Send us a picture of what you put on you car.

1934 Ford's since 1972

ken ct.    -- 08-08-2019 @ 9:05 PM
  Same here Pinsky , shipping is expensive especialy for 4 of them, I believe Macs is out of busniss in lockport. ken ct

trjford8    -- 08-09-2019 @ 9:16 AM
  Ken is correct about Mac's. They have moved the entire operation to Florida. Most likely the tires they sell are from Coker.

supereal    -- 08-20-2019 @ 10:32 AM
  I have had Coker Classic tires on my '47 for many years, The only problem I had was one of the tires was out of round, and was returned for replacement. I chose Coker because their large volume of sales means most tires have not sat on a rack for months or years. Time, ozone, and sunlight are enemies of tire life. If ordering from a parts dealer, be sure to ask how long the tires have been in stock.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13100