lever shocks on the front and tube shocks on the rear and
they appear to be factory stock. Anybody have any idea
if this configuration was built during the '47
changeover?
Thanks
chr

chr

wmsteed    -- 10-13-2009 @ 9:04 AM
  I believe that most of the '47 and later Fords had tube shocks on the rear.

Bill
36 5 win cpe

supereal    -- 10-14-2009 @ 9:45 AM
  The the rear shock mounts fasten to the crossmember with clamps, they were added on. It would be unusual to find levers on the front, and tubes on the back, but with the '46-'47 models, anything is possible. Buy the Club's '41 to '48 book. It has lots of valuable info on your car, including several pages regarding shock absorbers.

48Tudor    -- 10-14-2009 @ 7:26 PM
  We sort have concluded that the rears may have been
added later as the lower mount (arm off the backing
plate) is not forged so it does not quite look like the
arm pictured in the chassis parts book. Top mount bolts
to the frame with U bolts.

We have the 41-48 book but it was not really helpful in
determining if the setup was original or added at a
later date. Chart in appendix gives changeover dates
for trim, etc but nothing for chassis changes.
I'll try to get a photo of the lower arm and post for
comment.
Thanks !

chr

supereal    -- 10-15-2009 @ 10:26 AM
  In the haste to get cars to the dealers who were clamoring to satisfy the pent up demand for new cars after WWII, Ford used leftover '42 parts, and any others they could locate at that assembly plant. Due to price controls, the '46 cars were delayed until the middle of that year, and the '48 production was halted late that year to makeway for production of the '49s. That window of only about a couple of years meant many "running" changes, many of which were poorly documented, or not at all. That makes determining what is a "correct" configuration" often a guessing game. I have a '47 built late that year, and it is different from my '46 in a number of ways.

wmsteed    -- 10-15-2009 @ 12:41 PM
  When I converted my '36 Ford over to a '47-48 Columbia in lieu of the original '36 Columbia, the differential I used had the cast shock mounts attached to the backing plates. The shocks were attached to the cross member via U bolts. Many years later I found a '47-48 Ford that had the more correct mounting studs for the cross member.
I guess that one could assume that the U bolt mount is a correct item for early '47 Fords..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=131