Topic: First Ford purchase

52crestline    -- 07-23-2019 @ 2:18 PM
  I have owned several 50's era Chevys, but no Fords, yet. I've always liked the appearance of the V8 flathead which a lot of the dirt track stock cars near here raced in the 50s and 60s. Can't afford a Victoria, however I have come across a 1952 Crestline Deluxe Coupe V8 with a Fordamatic. Original black paint and interior. Solid frame, no rust or bondo. Well cared for by the owner who had this car for 35 years before selling it to a knowledgeable Ford collector that is selling it to get something else. I trust him, spent about 2 hours today talking about cars and this vehiclee. Going to see it in a few days. Shows 12,000 miles. Old oil change sticker indicates 10,000 miles. I know you can't be sure about miles but given the condition described and in photos it could be. It appears to be a #3 original, solid car that would be a dependable driver, that shouldn't need any major work and could always be brought to the next level with new paint, etc. The glass is original and in great shape, engine runs well and shifts nicely. New fuel pump and brake shoes. All gauges work according to the seller. The firm price is $13,500. I know it is difficult to help without seeing it but my question is, all being said is the price fair? Thanks so much! Michael

MG    -- 07-23-2019 @ 2:51 PM
  If it's as you describe, it's a fair price. I suggest that you keep it as original as possible - no "new paint etc." There is something to be said about the patina gleaned from age and use that is forever lost when a car is restored....

carcrazy    -- 07-23-2019 @ 3:18 PM
  There was no Crestline Club Coupe in 1952. There was a Customline Club Coupe. According to the NADA price guide, the values of the car with automatic transmission and V-8 engine are as follows for a retail sale:
Low - $4950
Average - $10,175
High - $16,675

If the car is as described, it is probably worth about halfway between the average and high values listed above which puts the asking price in the ballpark. The most important thing is to buy the car you want.

52crestline    -- 07-24-2019 @ 6:01 AM
  Thanks for your response. Yes, if I buy the car I will not repaint it. My interest is in it having original paint and interior. Thanks again.

52crestline    -- 07-24-2019 @ 6:03 AM
  Thanks for responding. Yes, I was mistaken. I am not that well versed on Fords. Is this considered a "shoebox". Thanks again!

trjford8    -- 07-24-2019 @ 1:40 PM
  The shoe box category really applied to the '49-'51cars, although I have seen the term applied to the 52-53 cars on occasion.

52crestline    -- 07-27-2019 @ 4:36 AM
  Thanks for your help. After spending a great deal of time meeting with the owner and looking at the car, I agreed to paying cash at the full asking price. Owner decided he doesn't want to sell, so the search continues. Thanks again, Michael

sarahcecelia    -- 07-27-2019 @ 11:33 AM
  The term "Shoe Box" is ONLY CORRECT terminology for 1949,50, and 51 Ford sedans, and convertibles!! This term came from the body style, which looked like, a SHOE BOX.

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13092