Topic: 1937 Water Pumps

Robert/Texas    -- 07-22-2019 @ 12:46 PM

I decided to start a new thread because the old one was getting lengthy and I now have a new question.

Bruce, my son-in-law and I installed the repaired radiator this weekend. All seemed to be going well until I filled the radiator with a gallon of antifreeze and two gallons of distilled water. After I started the engine. I noticed that the temperature gauge was rising faster than I thought it should. I got out my laser thermometer and found that the cylinder heads, and the top hoses were about 30 degrees hotter on the passenger side than on the driver side. I assume that this is a water pump problem and hope to have both rebuilt.

I have searched and found that the front of the engine only needs to be raised 1/4-inch, but I couldn’t find how to do this. When I replaced the motor mounts on my ‘34 Ford several years ago, I had no problem as there was plenty of room for a board near the front of the oil pan. The ‘37 has the axle, exhaust crossover pipe, tie rod and drag link in the way. I’m thinking of using a board at the front of the wide part of the oil pan where there is room but am concerned that this might be too far back. I would really appreciate suggestions on this, especially from someone who has done it on a ’37 or similar model.
Thanks, Robert.

ford38v8    -- 07-22-2019 @ 12:56 PM
  Robert, don't assume yourself into a project larger than required. as you have removed/replaced the radiator, go for the simple diagnosis first: From a cold start, monitor the temp of both upper radiator hoses till they warm up. This will tell you if one of your thermostats has developed a problem while changing out the radiator. While doing this test, also watch the water pump pulleys to see if there is any work stoppage there. You may have a simple thermostat replacement or a belt adjustment, and you'll owe me a beer for that info if it works for you.

Alan

supereal    -- 07-26-2019 @ 12:41 PM
  If you have the thermostats that simply fit in the upper hose, you may find that one of them came loose and is blocking the hose. I don't run thermostats, but when we put them in for a customer, we secure them with a hose clamp over their position.

TonyM    -- 08-07-2019 @ 7:20 PM
  The OP asked where on 1937 Ford can the engine be jacked up on the pan.

I have been wondering this too. All kinds of things in the way.

Can anybody answer?

78-730B

TomO    -- 08-08-2019 @ 6:53 AM
  I place a short wide board, about the size of the front section of the pan, against the pan above the tie rods and drag link and then use a bottle jack to press on that to raise the engine. A piece of 2x6 works pretty good.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13089