Topic: Generator Output

39Fordfan    -- 07-19-2019 @ 3:26 PM
  My '39 Deluxe has been down and not running for the last month and 1/2. The radiator failed and I finally got it back from the shop after having it Re-cored, I also replaced the water pumps.

I noticed the generator had a bit of a chirp as I spun everything by hand to make sure all the pulleys were free before putting the belt back on. It seems it wanted a bit of lubrication. I saw what appears to be a little trap door at the back of the Generator Armature Shaft. I assumed this is for lubrication? I did my best to daub a bit of oil on all possible wear points without opening it up.

When I took the car out and ran it, it ran really well. The only thing I noticed though was that on my dash voltage gauge, that it was running slightly below the block with the "N" on it. Even at Highway speeds with the lights off, it would never move further up. Before I put the car away in May the gauge was reading just at the top of the block with the "N" on it, even with the lights on.

Some other things to know are that I just put a new battery in this Spring. I replaced the coil last Fall when the old one went bad. The Generator was Remanned about 4 years ago (Probably less than 700 miles ago) and the Voltage Regulator was replaced at that same time.

I don't know if I scr*w*d things up by trying to make the chirp go away by adding a bit of lube? I'm not sure if I can possibly put things back in order myself with a few adjustments? Or if I need to get another Generator Remanufacture done?

Thanks!

This message was edited by 39Fordfan on 7-19-19 @ 3:30 PM

TomO    -- 07-20-2019 @ 7:47 AM
  That little "trap door" and the one on the distributor should be filled with 30w oil every 1,000 miles or 3 months. You did not do any damage to your generator by adding the oil, but might have damaged the bushing in the rear of the generator by NOT adding oil.

Your problem is most likely the cutout in the voltage regulator. You can test this by connecting your volt meter to the BAT terminal of the voltage regulator and then starting the engine and raising the RPM to above 1,000 RPM and reading the meter. It should read 7 volts or above.

If it doesn't read above 7 volts, you can jumper the FLD terminal to the ARM terminaljust long enough to read the meter. If the generator is OK, the voltage should go above 7 volts. If it does, then the cutout relay in the voltage regulator needs to be cleaned.

If you do not feel comfortable doing these tests, take the generator and voltage regulator to a generator rebuilding service and have them test it.

Tom

supereal    -- 07-21-2019 @ 11:19 AM
  The noise you hear may be contact with the mica segment separators on the armature rubbing against the brushes. That much wear will have a direct effect on the output. It is also likely the brushes are badly work and the springs can't hold them in place. If you don't have access to a shop that actually knows what a generator is in this age od alternators, C&G will rebuild it, using your generator as a core. The cost for your six volt '39 unit is $230. The sum of the parts is about that much, anyway.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13084