Topic: "37 hood support and brackets- also rumble step

V8 Doc    -- 05-27-2010 @ 3:19 PM
  Have NOS '37 rear coupe fender - where - exactly does the step pillar mount on it for rumble seat access in a roadster. Prefer measuement from center of tail lamp wire hole to center of bolt hole for step pillar.
'37 Book has totally confused me re: hood support attachment. Does large hole in support attach to hood or pinched cowl flange? Do heads of shouldered bolts show to outside or inside of car? With support on car and hood closed would the spoked wheel mechanism be closer to the ground or the reverse [to understand orientation of the offset end of support with smaller hole in it]. Any source for grommets 78-16822 or 78-18822?
Am I right that the four screws attaching hood bracket arms [ hood bracket to hood] are shouldered bolts? Did hood bracket to body bolts require washers: bolt heads barely cover bracket holes?? Thanks for any help.

doning    -- 05-28-2010 @ 9:13 AM
  The big hole on the hood support bolts to the little bracket on the hood. From the inside out, it would go like this: Shoulder bolt, flat washer, rubber grommet, hood support, hood bracket, lock washer, nut. There may be a spring washer between the hood support and bracket. I don't remember, but it would not hurt anything if it were there. Try a valve cover rubber grommet for a 292/312 valve cover for your grommet. Seems like that will work with a little modification. Hope this helps.
Information received to me by Jay Temple.

doning    -- 05-28-2010 @ 9:17 AM
  Yes, the hood hinges require washers. Flat outside and lock washers on the inside. As least that's how mine are. Happy V8'ing.

V8 Doc    -- 05-28-2010 @ 9:47 AM
  Great help. '37 Book , under picture [p.2-6] says large hole in support is bottom hole - source of my confusion. As you did for top hole can you describe hardware for bottom end of support ie bolt head on inside or outside of pinched cowl etc.? and as support extends from lower attachment to cowl, does bend in support end with smaller hole bend outward or inward? Also does your car have shouldered bolts [two for each side] that attach thin arms from hood hinges to the hood - these use no nuts, but screw into built in brackests at rear of hood on each side. Thanks. Say h*llo to Jay for me.

doning    -- 06-01-2010 @ 7:14 AM
  My hood support arm on the bottom has a round headed screw, flat washer which goes in from the outside in. Inside it has a wavy washer, flat washer and nut. For your hood where the hinge arm bolts to you should have a total of four little studs sticking out. Two on each side. Mine has four small bolts with flat washers. Does this help you out?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1307