Topic: 1938 V8 60HP Radiator Hoses

1938cr    -- 05-26-2010 @ 7:54 PM
  Hi all, I'm trying to replace the upper and lower radiator hoses on my 1938 V8 60 hp. I have checked all of the usual places for replacements and it seems they are not available. Has anyone had luck finding a replacement? Thanks CR

nelsb01    -- 05-27-2010 @ 7:33 AM
  No.
What I did with my 1937 Ford 60hp was search the parts store for hoses that were the same diameter, and then find one that I could cut to fit. Several modern hoses can be cut down to be used. You will be buying more hose than you need, but there are modern hoses out there that have bends and length, that with trimming from one or both ends will give you the hose you need.

I am sorry but I did not keep the number or model of the hoses. My 1937 was sold about 9 years ago.

You can use laquer thinner to remove any part number or manufacturers name on the hose.

1938cr    -- 05-27-2010 @ 8:40 PM
  Thank you for the reply. I think that is great advice. CR

my50ford    -- 06-03-2010 @ 1:41 PM
  What i did was to watch ebay and i bought original hoses. The 37 cooling system has no preasure and i understand that dot 3 brake fluid will soften them. I'm still working on that.

cableboy    -- 06-03-2010 @ 3:47 PM
  I was able to find upper hoses at NAPA. The number is NBH7913. The diameter is 1 1/2" at the radiator and 1 3/4" at the head. The hose fits perfectly. I think it is for an 80's something BMW. I know Gates makes hoses for NAPA, but since this hose fit perfectly, I did not try getting anything else. Also, I was told that different runs of each hose might make for slight differences, so try it for length before you rip off the labels in case you need to return it. As I understand, this BMW hose is made to be trimmed to fit. Since the hose fit for me, I bought a second set (all from the same run) and have spares if necessary.

As for the bottom hose, I went to the store and got the hose with the tightest 90 deg angle I could find and cut it to fit. I could find nothing close ready made.

Any NOS hoses I came across were cracked or seemed to have dry rot and I did not want to take a chance.
John

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-06-2010 @ 1:23 PM
  you can soften the water hoses with very hot water by soaking them, or use moderate heat from a heat gun will also soften them.
brake fluid might penetrate the rubber and weaken it,even might make the rubber get bigger,
I know some cleaners will do this,use a old hose to see what happenens,
you might want to research this before doing so,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,,!!

supereal    -- 06-06-2010 @ 2:37 PM
  John: It isn't a good idea to use any old rubber parts, as they usually deteriorate from exposure to ozone. This corrosive gas is everywhere, as it is generated by electric motors and other appliances. We once tried a room deodorizer that was a generator of ozone. We hung several large rubber bands in front of the machine, and they hardened and fell apart in a very short time. As radiator hoses deteriorate, the carbon black in the rubber is exposed to the coolant, which then becomes a conductor and, in turn, hastens the electrolysis in the system affecting the radiator and block. To see this in action, place one side of a voltmeter to ground, and immerse the other in the old coolant. You will likely be surprised at the results. You are way ahead with your new hoses.

vstol    -- 06-07-2010 @ 5:32 PM
  try denniscarpenter.com I just reviewed their catalog on line and saw hoses offered for a 36.

ford38v8    -- 06-07-2010 @ 8:20 PM
  vstol, Good suggestion, but this was for a V8 60, which takes a smaller diameter hose than the V8 85.

Alan

1938cr    -- 06-08-2010 @ 8:56 AM
  Thank you for all of the ideas, I'm going to try the NAPA store this weekend. CR

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1305