Topic: Why is the starter wire to the starter causing smo

flatfoot    -- 07-10-2019 @ 6:00 PM
  When starting my newly overhauled '37 motor is smoking from the floor starter switch, which is new. It turns over very slow and then picks up but then slow again. It smokes so bad that I stop trying to start it. Good new generator, new starter, new cutout, etc. Has about 300 miles on the overhaul. Help, please.

40cpe    -- 07-10-2019 @ 6:36 PM
  Sadly, these days "new" doesn't always mean "good". It sounds like maybe the contacts in the switch are faulty. Carefully feel for heat in the connecting terminals and battery cables and in the switch itself. Where you find the heat will be the source of the resistance. I would be interested in knowing where the switch came from.

jims33    -- 07-10-2019 @ 6:43 PM
  The problem is most likely the switch itself. The new made ones aren't very good. If you have an old one it might work better. All that is in there is a set of contacts and a bridge that connects them when you step it down.
It could be replaced with a solenoid and a starter button.
If you take it apart you will see the trouble, the copper buttons will be "fried". A good switch would have silver contacts and heavy copper parts, but that would make them expensive to make.

MG    -- 07-10-2019 @ 8:48 PM
  I assume that your '37 engine is not in a '37 car in that the 1937 Ford did not use a floor stater switch but rather a stater button on the dash. So, what car/truck is your '37 engine mounted in? From what you describe, it sounds as though the cable from the switch to the starter motor is short to ground before it get to the starter motor. I suspect the smoke is from the insulation burning off this cable....

This message was edited by MG on 7-10-19 @ 11:47 PM

flatfoot    -- 07-11-2019 @ 8:36 AM
  The motor is in a '36 4 dr. I am beginning to believe it is the starter switch. And it is on the floor. But it was working really well before. The foot switch probably bad. Where might be a good place to purchase one. I live in Northern Caifornia, Redding. Maybe C & G Ford? I'm not sure. Thank-you for the information.

flatfoot    -- 07-11-2019 @ 8:43 AM
  The battery cables are very hot to the battery. The smoke appears to be coming from the starter switch on the floor. Should I replace the cable to the starter from the switch and the switch? Where to buy them I have no thought. Maybe C & G Ford Parts. I live in Redding, Ca. Thanks for your in-put.

kirkstad    -- 07-11-2019 @ 9:34 AM
  C&G lists a floor starter switch,part #48-11450 in their catalog page 141. You could call their tech.info.line at 760 871 o445 with any questions you may have.Their parts seem to be of good quality,but remember part suppliers are limited to where they too can get their supplies, unless they can make them themselves .Jims33 is a good suggestion, My 36 was changed to a starter button years ago before I became owner.I did put in a floor switch years ago but never connected it as yet.My starter button was put in the dash,but you could hide it so not to drill any holes.

supereal    -- 07-11-2019 @ 10:37 AM
  Be sure the current draw of the starter hasn't changed. A dragging armature or other internal short could explain the smoke. In that case, and switch will be cooked.

flatfoot    -- 07-11-2019 @ 1:52 PM
  What or who is Jims33?

MG    -- 07-11-2019 @ 2:06 PM
  He posted above >

jims33 7-10-19 @ 6:43 PM

"The problem is most likely the switch itself. The new made ones aren't very good. If you have an old one it might work better. All that is in there is a set of contacts and a bridge that connects them when you step it down.
It could be replaced with a solenoid and a starter button.
If you take it apart you will see the trouble, the copper buttons will be "fried". A good switch would have silver contacts and heavy copper parts, but that would make them expensive to make."

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-11-2019 @ 3:02 PM
  hi
are the battery cables are 6 volt heavy duty ?
12 volt cables will cause problems.
pop the band on the starter and examine the commutator , see if it is burnt,
for testing purposes you could try a different starter switch.
my 2 cents 37 Ragtopman

flatfoot    -- 07-11-2019 @ 3:54 PM
  Thanks for your advice I have a new switch coming from C & G Ford parts. It is foreign made. Oh well.

56MarkII    -- 07-13-2019 @ 7:32 PM
  And while your at it don't make the same mistake many do about the gauge of the battery cables used for 6 volts. They put piddly thin cables used on a 12 volt vehicle not realizing the lower the voltage the higher the current! These 6 volt cables are usually much more thicker and don't go by insulation diameter, look at the copper. Too big is better than too small.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13049