Topic: 1937 Ford V8-85 Condenser?

ibshane    -- 07-10-2019 @ 3:08 AM
  So I went to take my '37 Ford Deluxe for a spin and it wouldn't start..., turns out there's no spark.

Figured I'd try a new condenser first, but I don't know what one to get. The current one has no writing or markings.

Original Flathead V8-85 with Diver helmet distributor, but it has the adaptor kit for a remote coil.

Any of you guys know what condenser this setup uses??

Thanks in advance!

4dFordSC    -- 07-10-2019 @ 7:28 AM
  Napa IH-200 works well with flatheads.

woodiewagon46    -- 07-10-2019 @ 7:41 AM
  If you can get a copy of the Sept./Oct. , 2014 issue of the V-8 Times it has a very detailed article on condensers. It goes on to mention, that when you change the original coil, it's a new ballgame as far as using the original spec condenser. The article is way too technical for me, but you might contact Frank Scheidt, V-8 Times Associate Editor, the author of the article.

cliftford    -- 07-10-2019 @ 8:20 AM
  Do a search on the forum. There are several possible causes.

supereal    -- 07-13-2019 @ 10:37 AM
  Unless the condenser is shorted, or fully open, it is unlikely the cause of no starting. If you have access to a meter, put it on the high ohm scale and check between the wire and the body of the condenser. If the needle doesn't move, or jump up and fall back, the condenser is likely open. If the needle goes up, and stays there, it is shorted. Condensers for your '37 (78-12300), are $9 at C&G (800) 266-0470. The are very good quality. Many sold today are cheaper, but questionable. I carry a spare condenser in my "road kit". It is a condenser in a pill bottle with a pair of clip leads. It won't fix a shorted condenser, but will restore starting and power so you can get home. You just clip it between a good ground and the input terminal of the coil.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13045