Topic: 1941 Ford Convertible

tmclassics    -- 05-26-2010 @ 7:37 PM
  In checking the internet I came across the sight "oldtimer gallery" which had the following on the 1941 Ford 100HP engine. The book Encyclopedia of American Cars had the following written by Thomas Janeklev - "There were a few 1941 Fords delivered with a 100HP engine installed, but I think they were specially ordered, the engine in those cars is the same as in the 1941 Mercury". Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

EdB    -- 05-27-2010 @ 8:57 AM
  TM, my 41 was made in about the last 3 weeks of production; it has a Heavy Duty Air Cleaner and the engine is blue. Even the dip stick. The car was represented to me as actual mileage; Under 26,000; it had been in storage a long time. original interior. Underside is relatively clean ...I accept the mileage as being relatively accurate. The vanpelt site says that 41 Mercury engines were painted blue. I posted this months ago; the V-8ers consensus is that it is not the original factory installed engine. Perhaps it is a Mercury/factory installed?? Wondering if there is a way to determine the actual 'brand' of this engine, short of pulling a head?

wmsteed    -- 05-27-2010 @ 10:00 AM
  I would doubt very much, that in 1941, someone on the Ford line called over to the Mercury line, telling them they needed a Mercury engine because the Ford line had an order from some rich mucky-muck for a Ford car with a Merc engine.
It is much more likely that a Ford dealer did the switch for a customer. Keep in mind that up to 1948, the majority of Ford dealers were also Mercury dealers. In 1948 Mercury was merged into the Lincoln dealerships, becoming Lincoln-Mercury.
I have read that there were special police cars built with 100 hp engines in the early 1940's. Since Ford was so lax about record keeping, this could be true, but then again it could just be hype.
My brother has a '37 Ford 4dr sdn which he has owned for over thirty years.. He purchased it from a man that claimed the car was an original unrestored car that had only been repainted once. My brother owned the car for ten years then he moved to Idaho. Upon applying for Idaho registration it was found that the VIN on the frame did not match the title. Big hassle to clear that mess up...
To add to the mystery it has turned out that the car has hydraulic brakes and a 24 stud engine.... My brother has claimed for over thirty years that the hydraulic brakes were a special factory option and the 24 stud engine is correct for a '37..... Hmmmmm?

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

ford38v8    -- 05-27-2010 @ 10:20 AM
  Bill, There are so many guys like your brother who have been told by a seller, or who have speculated about originality, and have come to defend those speculations , that make it so difficult to find the real truth.

The EFV8CA's Judging Standards Committee long ago made this wise rule: It is the responsibility of the owner to provide documentation of a non standard item to prevent a point deduction on the Concourse. Further, the fact that some author speculated about it in a publication, does not qualify as documentation.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1304