Topic: 34 voltage regulator

pajmward    -- 07-05-2019 @ 5:27 PM
  I have just installed a fun projects regulator. Followed the instructions to the letter and I seem to have power going to ground in the generator. The old cut out stopped this happening. Do I have a problem with the voltage regulator, as I am not sure why it is doing this.

MG    -- 07-05-2019 @ 5:32 PM
  Your car, is it still 6 volt positive ground? Did you order a 6 volt positive ground unit from Fun Projects?....

pajmward    -- 07-05-2019 @ 10:32 PM
  Yes, it is still 6V positive earth and the one I ordered is positive ground. The paper work I received with the regulator is for positive ground.

MG    -- 07-05-2019 @ 11:50 PM
  In reading the installation instructions for the Fun Projects voltage regulator you have, there certainly are a lot of "WARNINGS" and precautions you must take to prevent damaging the unit and therefore voiding its warranty. PDF at this location>

http://www.funprojects.com/products/10505v.aspx

Hopefully, you followed the instructions to the letter.

From the description, it seems to be a very, very delicate device. Don't look at it cross eyed, it might blow.... :o)

This message was edited by MG on 7-6-19 @ 9:08 AM

40 Coupe    -- 07-06-2019 @ 1:38 PM
  How do you know you have power going to ground in the generator? What are your symptoms?

pajmward    -- 07-06-2019 @ 2:14 PM
  With the key off, I can meter power on both sides of the regulator. The old cut out you could only meter power on the wiring side. It is also showing about 18 amps neg on the ammeter.

MG    -- 07-06-2019 @ 7:30 PM
  WARNING! - Never connect the battery wire (car wiring) to the "A" terminal! Connect the heavy "armature" wire that comes through the generator housing to the "A" (Armature) terminal of the voltage regulator. Connect the battery wire (car wiring) to the "B" (Battery) terminal of the regulator. You may notice a momentary "spark" when the battery wire is first connected. The Ammeter should not show any charge or discharge after the battery wire is connected. Any reading on the Ammeter indicates that something is wrong and your voltage regulator may already be damaged. Check all connections for shorts to the regulator cover or regulator base.

I suspect that your regulator is blown....Can you post pictures of the wiring to your regulator?....

pajmward    -- 07-06-2019 @ 9:10 PM
  Have done exactly as instructed from the start. I have an isolating switch on the battery so had that off when I was installing it. When I turned on the switch after double checking terminals, the ammeter went instantly onto neg side, where it should have stayed at 0 amps.

MG    -- 07-06-2019 @ 9:14 PM

Time for you to contact:

Fun Projects, Inc.
3515 W 88th St. North
Colfax, IA 50054
1-866-302-FORD (3673)

Products and Services
Shawna Devine, President
Bill Devine, Vice President
orders@funprojects.com

40 Coupe    -- 07-07-2019 @ 5:08 AM
  Disconnect the battery, remove and isolate the wiring side wire from the cutout and then reconnect the battery, if the car ammeter now reads zero The cutout is shorted and you should contact Fun Projects.
Unless your very familiar with a meter I suggest you let your car dash Ammeter tell you if the charging system is working properly. Damage can be done to the cutout by using a multimeter for just a fraction of a second improperly.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-07-2019 @ 11:27 AM
  was it charging before with no problems,?
if so why did you change to the new regulator ?
in the instructions in the new regulator, were you to adjust the 3rd brush ?
I was wondering if you crossed the wires when hooking up the new unit.?
seems like is grounded internally ,
does it get hot ?
cutouts worked for a many years and are easy to find out what the problem is when you have charging problems,
it either charges or not,
let us know how you made out,
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13038