Topic: 1937 Ford Sedan Distributor

ibshane    -- 07-04-2019 @ 9:36 PM
  I have a newly rebuilt, calibrated & adjusted Distributor for my '37 Ford V8-85

Is there anything I need to know about replacing the Distributor, Caps & Boots other than the obvious like marking the position of the rotor before removal?

Thanks in advance!

MG    -- 07-04-2019 @ 10:51 PM
  Place a piece of cardboard up against the inside of the radiator so as to protect its cooling fins while working on the distributor....

ibshane    -- 07-05-2019 @ 4:06 AM
  Good advice.., Thanks!

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-05-2019 @ 5:50 AM
  hi
the distributor only goes in ONE way, it has a off center slot in the camshaft that lines up with the off
center drive shaft, I rotate the rotor so the distributor falls into place,do not force it, use a gasket
you can put the ignition wires, and both the inner caps and outer caps together, on the work bench
this is NOT a easy job, use the directions and take your time,
if you can assemble everything outside so you can see what you are doing,
I assume you are using NEW color coded ignition wires,
it is less confusing if you do,
hope this helps, let us know how it came out ,,,,hope this helps 37Ragtopman

TomO    -- 07-05-2019 @ 7:03 AM
  Leave the coil off of the distributor until you have the distributor installed and the vacuum brake vacuum line installed.

Cut the heads off of 2 5/16"-18 x 1 1/2" bolts and use them as studs to align the distributor to the timing gear cover. install the 3rd distributor bolt loosely and then turn the rotor until the tang on the distributor fits in the slot on the camshaft. Hand tighten the 3rd bolt and make sure that the distributor fits flush with the timing gear cover.

When you install the coil, make sure that protrusion on the bottom fits inside the opening in the distributor. Tighten the coil screws evenly and check frequently to make sure that the coil is seating properly. If you break an ear on the coil, it is junk.

Tom

ibshane    -- 07-06-2019 @ 6:13 AM
  37RAGTOPMAN.....,

When you say "Color Coded Ignition Wires" are you talking about the Spark Plug Wires?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13037