Topic: How much oil used ?

47Monarch    -- 07-02-2019 @ 12:10 PM
  Just wondering my 47 monarch used a quart of oil on a 200 mile trip . I think it leaked more than it used is this average ?

40cpe    -- 07-02-2019 @ 1:05 PM
  An engine in good health will not use or leak that much oil. I had a '50 Ford back in the 60's that I drove interstate and it didn't use any oil on a 1000 mile change cycle. I now have a rebuilt 8BA style engine that stays on the full mark between oil changes. Maybe if you get the leaks slowed down your usage would be reasonable.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-02-2019 @ 3:40 PM
  HI
WHAT KIND of oil and what weight oil are you using ?
how many miles on engine, how long was it sitting,?

Be sure your OIL breather cap is not clogged,
this will build up pressure and oil will leak out at the easiest spot, rear main ,front crankshaft seal,pan gasket,+++ plus
this is overlooked many times,
another is the oil pressure switch,
does the engine smoke,? out the tailpipe going down hills, smoke at idle ???
pull the oil breather cap off while at idle, does it puff out smoke ? if it does this would be rings, BLOW BY !!
have some one follow you on the road, and maybe they can see something,
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

carcrazy    -- 07-02-2019 @ 4:45 PM
  I once had a freshly rebuilt Flathead that used a quart of oil every 200 miles. It wasn't burning any, it was leaking it past the rear main bearing. If I'd let the engine idle I could see oil constantly dripping from the rear of the engine while it was running. If your engine is leaking that much oil, two recommendations would be to use a straight 30 weight SAE oil and be sure not to overfill the engine crankcase with oil.

47Monarch    -- 07-02-2019 @ 6:28 PM
  My car doesn't leak a drop when sitting only when driving

47Monarch    -- 07-02-2019 @ 6:33 PM
  The car has 28000 original miles was used very little in the past 8 years no smoke just using leaking oil when driven no other issues with anything . How do I check the filler cap to be sure it's not blocked ? I did notice a small amount of dirty oil on the out side of the air breather after the trip

Grant    -- 07-03-2019 @ 6:15 AM
  What's your location? I'll call you if you post a telephone number.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-03-2019 @ 6:37 AM
  HI
you can clean the oil breather cap with kerosene, or better yet simple green, might do the job,
soak overnight in a can, see what come out,, you can wash out with water and let dry,
my 2 cents 37RAGTOPMAN

TomO    -- 07-03-2019 @ 7:19 AM
  Where is the oil leaking from? Front crank shaft seal, water pumps, rear seal, oil filter or lines. etc.

Tom

47Monarch    -- 07-03-2019 @ 7:38 AM
  Not sure it looks like it is coming from the hole with the cotter pin ? Just got the car last year still getting to know it. I am not that mechanical health reasons , but sure do enjoy the car

47Monarch    -- 07-03-2019 @ 7:40 AM
  New to the site would just like to thank everyone for their input .off to the garage to see what I can discover .Again thanks

TomO    -- 07-03-2019 @ 8:36 AM
  Most 1947 Ford V-8 engines will have a few drops coming from the hole with the cotter pin. If you have a lot (steady drops for a period of 15 minutes or more) coming from that hole, the rear main seal or the oil pump gear gasket may be leaking.

Try cleaning the oil breather cap and check the vent at the front of the oil pan to make sure that it is open.

Tom

JayChicago    -- 07-03-2019 @ 4:21 PM
  "vent at the front of the oil pan"

Something else I know nothing about! Tom, what is that?

TomO    -- 07-04-2019 @ 7:00 AM
  Jay, read this.

http://www.reds-headers.com/html/red_s_engine_talk_19.html

Tom

JayChicago    -- 07-04-2019 @ 8:15 AM
  Thanks for the info, Tom. Now I want to get under the car and see what my road draft ventilation slot looks like. Can I clean it by sticking a small tool in the slot? Is there a baffle or anything in there that could be damaged?

47Monarch    -- 07-04-2019 @ 11:52 AM
  Cleaned the breather not much cr*p init no blow by

TomO    -- 07-05-2019 @ 7:08 AM
  Jay, there is nothing in there that can be damaged. Normally there is no reason to clean it, but the OP said he was leaking oil and oil pan pressure is one reason for leaking oil.

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 07-07-2019 @ 8:47 AM
  Wash it in gas or kerosene.

Regards, Steve Lee

supereal    -- 07-07-2019 @ 12:33 PM
  There is a threaded plug on the rear side of the block that seals the oil gallery. They usually haven't been moved since the original assembly of the engine. If it was moved by someone sometime during a rebuild, and not sealed, they will produce a leak that is often mistaken for a leaking main bearing seal. The only way to access this plug is to remove the flywheel. The plug is pipe threaded and depends on its shape to seal. We remove the plug during a rebuild to clean the gallery, and use a good Permatex sealer on it.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13032