Topic: '51 Conv and 8BA/Transmission alignment issues

jon.shaw    -- 07-01-2019 @ 8:52 AM
  Hi everybody. I just signed up and am quite inexperienced with forums, so apologies for mistakes/breaches of protocol, etc. that I'll probably make. (Let me know what I'm doing wrong and I'll try to learn quickly!)

I'm in the process of finishing the restoration of the '51 convertible that my father began shortly before his death. I hit a pretty big roadblock when I went to install the donor 8BA and transmission. These came out of a four door '51 so I wasn't expecting for there to be any issues with fit. However, as you can see from the pictures, the mounting points for the tranny are directly over the frame element that supports the transmission. Equally as baffling is that the mounting plate that bolts to the transmission is wider than the mounting points on the transmission. (I got the mounting plate from Shoebox Central, so I'm assuming it's the right part.) I took the engine and transmission out of the donor '51 myself. Anybody have some insight?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-01-2019 @ 10:37 AM
  HI
I had a 51 FORD years ago, and switched the trans from a 51 to a 53, from automatic to standard,
only problem was I had to add the clutch pedal and linkage and added a floor shift
was thinking the trans mount that you bought is from a 51 overdrive transmission, or later car or truck ?
I would call the parts supplier were you bought the part and see if they have any answers
give them the dimensions on what you need to what your bought
my 2 cents 37 Ragtopman

deluxe40    -- 07-01-2019 @ 8:34 PM
  Ford made a change in '51, moving the rear motor mount forward 6" and making it larger. The change was made to accommodate the automatic transmission. I think your donor car might have had a 49/50 transmission installed. Are you positive your donor car is in fact a '51?

Welcome to the forum.

deluxe40    -- 07-01-2019 @ 9:04 PM
  Something that bothers me about your picture is that the cross member supporting the motor mount looks like a piece of angle iron that has been welded in place. My '51 convertible has a channel (open side of the "U" pointing down) a couple of inches wide that is bolted in place. I just tried to take pictures but the barn is dark and the jack wasn't handy, so here is what I got:

deluxe40    -- 07-01-2019 @ 9:14 PM
  On third look, your crossmember might be correct but the bolts are covered with undercoat and I didn't look at it long enough. I found a picture of a 49/50 transmission (top) and a '51 tailshaft (bottom) that should help. These are overdrive transmissions, but that doesn't matter.

TomO    -- 07-02-2019 @ 6:36 AM
  The 49-50 engine support hole spacing is 5" and the 51 spacing is 6 9/32". It looks like the transmission has the 1949-1950 spacing.

Tom

jon.shaw    -- 07-03-2019 @ 1:43 PM
  Thanks for the info and, please, keep it coming if you're someone new seeing this or you've already seen it and have thought of something new.

I'm staring to think this is a '49 or '50 transmission. The only time it was out of my possession was when I turned it in to the local flathead expert and he rebuilt it for me. I didn't examine it too closely before doing so, though, and I wonder if he just gave me a '49 or '50 that he'd already rebuilt instead of rebuilding mine and giving it back to me. I suppose there's also the chance that someone moved the mounting point for the transmission. The convertible had a newer engine and transmission in it before my dad bought it. They had been removed by the previous owner/restorer. I think I'll Shoebox Central after the 4th of July holiday and see what they recommend.

Another issue that I thought might be connected is that the engine is really tight up against the firewall. So tight I probably couldn't have installed the throttle linkage with the engine in place. I don't know if that's connected to transmission mount point issue. I think I'll put that in a separate post.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13028