Topic: Battery Issues

Garrison202    -- 07-01-2019 @ 5:54 AM
  Hello All,
Thanks to you I located the serial number of my '36 Ford, got her insured, and now have plates and a registration sticker. Now I need to get her inspected. Thankfully, I found a garage just down the street from me that works with old cars. She has a new battery and I had her up and running a few weeks ago. Sadly, this time, when I went to take her for inspection, I couldn't get her to turn over and ran down the charge. So, I hooked her up to my 6 volt, Del Tran, Battery Tender, Junior. I waited overnight, but it the morning it was still dead. So... I sanded and cleaned all contacts, waited overnight, but it's the same story... battery is dead and not takoing a charge.
Again, let me apologize for my ignorance. Does anyone have any suggestions or bits of advice? Do I need a better charger? The Del Tran has worked and charged the dead battery before. Why not now? What could have changed?
Thank you so much,

John

cliftford    -- 07-01-2019 @ 6:08 AM
  Put a crank in it and see if the engine will turn over. If not the Bendix drive may be stuck. Put it in high gear nd rock it back and forth.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-01-2019 @ 7:33 AM
  hi
that battery tender will not charge you battery overnight, it is meant to keep the battery charged up over long periods of time,
when the car is not in use, like over the winter,
you need to charge about 6 amps overnight or 24 hours, keep checking with a volt meter, should read over 6 volts, when not on charge, maybe 6.25 volts
you need to get a battery charger ,
if you have to drain the battery to start the car you have other problems,
maybe a tune up
we need more info,,,, for repairs,
hope this helps, 37Ragtopman

TomO    -- 07-01-2019 @ 7:34 AM
  The BAD news: The Battery Tender Jr. supplies 1.25 amps per hour, and this is not enough power to charge a dead battery overnight. It may take 3 of 4 days to bring the battery to a charge level that will start the car.

The WORSE news: Most of the newer "smart" chargers need the battery to be above a certain voltage or they will not recognize the battery. So most of them will not charge a dead battery. This was sold as a safety feature, because a battery can explode id it is exposed to high currents for long periods of time or if it has an internal short.

You can take your battery to a seller of car batteries and they will be able to charge your battery.

Tom

Garrison202    -- 07-01-2019 @ 8:57 AM
  Well, it looks like I need a new battery charger. They're all the same to me. Does anyone have a 6 volt charger that they really like?

Thanks!

TomO    -- 07-02-2019 @ 7:10 AM
  Here is a charger that will charge a dead battery and jump start your car. It has good reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BLLRM8R/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

It may be available elsewhere for less.

Tom

supereal    -- 07-02-2019 @ 10:58 AM
  If your battery is old, or of unknown age, replacement is the best option. Batteries lose their ability to take and hold a charge, particularly if the vehicle is seldom driven. I use the Optima "glass mat" batteries. They have gotten more expensive, particularly th six volt type, but all of them have lasted at least six years, some longer. After the driving season I bring the battery into the shop and let the Battery Tender keep it charged.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13027