Topic: '47 Ford car

Gordon T    -- 06-27-2019 @ 7:32 AM
  First post on this wonderful site! Not sure how long since this coupe has been running, drained tank /gas line/bowl. Changing park plugs and was wondering much oil should I put in each cylinder before turning over. Thank you

supereal    -- 06-27-2019 @ 8:45 AM
  Be sure the engine is free by turning it with the starter or a wrench on the crankshaft nut. If the gas tank and the engine have fresh fuel and oil, and the battery is fully charged, remove the air cleaner and apply several squirts of starting fluid. If the engine doesn't show signs of life, it may take more fluid until the fuel pump fills the carb. Oiling the cylinders is likely to foul your new spark plugs. This is the procedure we use to start fresh rebuilt engines in our shop. If the engine doesn't come to life, it is likely that long storage has allowed oxide to form on the ignition points, requiring cleaning or replacement to provide adequate spark.

Gordon T    -- 06-27-2019 @ 11:56 AM
  Thank you for the informative response!

Ritzy1    -- 06-28-2019 @ 2:18 AM
  Gordon, here are some tips from Van Pelt Sales, a great resource for any owner of an EV8: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_startup.htm.

Have fun!

sarahcecelia    -- 06-28-2019 @ 7:47 AM
  Error! Says "The website can't be found."

Regards, Steve Lee

TomO    -- 06-28-2019 @ 8:25 AM
  Try this

http://vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_startup.htm

Tom

Gordon T    -- 06-28-2019 @ 8:10 PM
  Thanks for the responses, new gas, new filter and new plugs which are firing. Put the plugs in, fuel is getting to carb but leaking down on the dome. Plugs are staying dry,so a carb rebuild is needed. Present owner says it's just not turning over fast enough. Future owner (me) is not familiar enough with a flathead v8 to tell. Had one in the sixties, I think it was green. Where's the best place to get a carb kit? Thanks again, Gordon

TomO    -- 06-29-2019 @ 7:17 AM
  Daytona Parts has the best kits. https://daytonaparts.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwhLHaBRAGEiwAHCgG3u7nnmZGE5zNW2bf03GMKp4NJMGepuewjC_60Nk-LNP-UyMO_WbIOxoCNE0QAvD_BwE

The best rebuilder is: Charlie Schwendler is 716/662-9159.

IMHO you can save a lot of grief by sending the carburetor to Charlie. There is much more to rebuilding a carburetor than installing a kit.

Tom

trjford8    -- 06-29-2019 @ 8:16 AM
  If it's turning over slow make sure there are good grounds and the correct size cables. 6 volt cables are larger than the 12 volt cables. Also if the car has sat for a long time there is most likely some corrosion on the cables and where the cables are grounded. All have a direct effect on the slow starting.

supereal    -- 07-02-2019 @ 11:19 AM
  At our shop we just overhauled a Stromberg 97 for a customer. This model is tough to overhaul, and requires special tools and experience. When we got the carb, we noted that whatever was in the bowl didn't resemble gasoline. The car had sat for an extended time, and the fuel was obviously tainted. Gasoline does "sour" over time, even when extender is used, and should be replaced by fresh gas. Run the tank down at the end of the season, add extender if desired, and refill it in the spring. Gasohol is particularly susceptible, as it will "phase separate" leaving water at the bottom where the fuel line pickup is located.

Gordon T    -- 07-03-2019 @ 7:39 AM
  Thanks to all for the replies, carb kit coming.

Gordon T    -- 07-16-2019 @ 11:01 AM
  Blew out gas line, drained tank, new fuel/filter, new oil/filter, cleaned battery/solenoid/ground connections. Made in USA carb rebuild kit installed by an old school mechanic. Clean fuel is getting to carb, spark on all plugs, with priming it won't fire. Two 6v charged batteries in parallel showing 275-290 cranking amps on a calibrated ammeter. Owner says he had new rings/crank shaft bearings done sometime before it was laid up. Guess it's turning over too slow, any thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

supereal    -- 07-16-2019 @ 12:22 PM
  Tip to those considering buying a car: If the seller says that there was work done on the vehicle, ask for the receipts to verify the claim. Otherwise, it is not a valid reason, particularly if the price is high. Our shop has a wide clientele among car collectors, and many relied on unverified claims revealed when they came to us with problems.

Gordon T    -- 07-16-2019 @ 1:31 PM
  Supereal; Thank you for the wise words!

40cpe    -- 07-16-2019 @ 1:34 PM
  I don't see where a compression check was done. If you think it is not turning fast enough, put 12v to the starter. It won't hurt the starter and you can leave the ignition on 6V.

Gordon T    -- 07-16-2019 @ 2:25 PM
  You're right I didn't do a compression check and should have. Is using 12v for starting a common thing? Feel like I've been living under a rock, never heard of it.

Gordon T    -- 07-17-2019 @ 4:45 PM
  Compression test had all but one cyl around 60psi and one closest to driver was fifty psi. Starting was 200A with no plugs installed and 300A with plugs in. Appears to me the crank/pistons are tight wheras the valves are loose? I'm going to walk from this nice car and wish the owner the very best. Would also thank those who read/replied! Gordon

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13013