Topic: 41 Horn question

EdB    -- 05-26-2010 @ 9:42 AM
  One trumpet sounds as it should; the other clicks. Have filed the points in the "clicker" ; no change.

I have a new relay, but found frayed, touching wires in the short harness to the old relay. Repaired that and the old relay works for at least the one trumpet.

"Fools rush in" ..that's why I am asking the experts !!
What should I look for??
Thank you.

ford38v8    -- 05-26-2010 @ 11:18 AM
  Ed, you've got a unique Ford there! Your horn with one trumpet may sound dorky, but just think, with the other one you can send Morse Code!

Alan

supereal    -- 05-26-2010 @ 11:28 AM
  To test the horns, put a jumper between the "hot" side of the battery and the wire to the horn. If the horn doesn't sound, pull the cap of the horn and put the jumper directly on the input terminal. If the horn still doesn't sound, find and file the contacts in the horn and make sure they are actually coming togather (an ohmmeter is good for that). If they are, test the coil winding, again with the meter, to see if it is open. Be sure the body of the horn has a good ground. As you say one horn does work, and as both horns are fed off the same relay terminal, the relay is not the problem. Problems with horns are not unusual, as most haven't been serviced since new, and often the diaphragm is stuck, as well.

Norm    -- 05-26-2010 @ 4:30 PM
  If it "clicks", that should mean the the coil is OK. Sounds like the points need to be adjusted. Try backing out the adjustable contact a little bit at a time. When the coil pulls in the movable contact it should then open the cicuit to allow a repetitive motion - causing the horn to "honk". When you get some noise adjust the movable point to best sound. Then be sure to set the locknut.

Hope this helps!

Norm

TomO    -- 05-27-2010 @ 9:30 AM
  The correct way to adjust the horns is to set the armature gap and then adjust the movable point so that it takes very little movement of the armature to open the points. I find that .001" works fine.

The armature is the part that moves when the horn is energized. Use 10 gauge or thicker wire to energize the horn when adjusting. I find that jumper cables work fine.

The starting point for the armature gap is .030" for the short horn and .050" for the long horn. You may vary the gap by up to .005" in either direction to change the tone.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1301