Topic: Headlight fuse?

MamaShoebox    -- 06-25-2019 @ 1:18 PM
  The headlights on my 1949 Ford Custom sedan died last night but the taillights still work. I don't think that it's a switch problem because I still have the back lights. Where is the fuse for the headlights? Advise, please!

MG    -- 06-25-2019 @ 1:37 PM
  Massage your High-Low beam foot switch (work it up and down) to see if that resolves your problem....

This message was edited by MG on 6-25-19 @ 1:38 PM

JT Ford    -- 06-25-2019 @ 5:50 PM
  There is no fuse for the headlights. Its a curcut breaker.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-26-2019 @ 6:10 AM
  if you use a jumper wire on the circuit breaker contacts. and lights work, it is the circuit breaker.
just for test purposes.
you might have a short in the front light wiring, causing the circuit breaker to disconnect,
using a jumper wire with a 20 or 30 amp fuse in line,on the circuit breaker see if this lights work
if the fuse blows, you will have to look for a short,
like any hot wires,
let us know how you made out,
my advice to you is if you have old frayed wires, it time to replace wiring before you loose the car or worse,
RHODE ISLAND wiring is a IDEAL place, were to get them , they will be there for you if you have any questions
and your wiring will come with diagrams , correct colors and correct gauge, and all soldered connections,
NO CRIMPS
not unlike the many parts vender that only go by parts numbers and KNOW NOTHING !!!
hope this helps. 37 Ragtopman

trjford8    -- 06-26-2019 @ 7:09 AM
  In addition to all the other good advice you might want to check the dimmer switch. The headlights are controlled by that switch and a bad switch or bad connection to the switch could cause the problem.

supereal    -- 06-27-2019 @ 2:21 PM
  In earlier Fords, the headlight circuit often went through what they called a "circuit breaker" it contained a relay that would buzz if the headlight circuit was shorted. The idea was to provide enough light to get back home safely. Most of these were removed and discarded over the years. I separated the various circuits in my cars and added a breaker panel on the inside of the firewall where it can't readily be seen. I used a modern push button breakers for each circuit except the charging circuit. Old wiring of the cloth covered rubber type is a constant source of shorts that not only affect lights, etc, but pose a fire hazard. My panel has come in handy a couple of times over the years. I operate the headlights via relays to get bright light for night driving instead of the usually weak and yellow kind, and to reduce the load on old switches.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13006